Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default Lunch today

Lynn wrote:

> I have two jars in my refrigerator. Neither one has been opened. One
> is full of "preserved lemons" I prepared many (many) months ago.
> I've been kinda afraid to open it. It's from a recipe in my reputable
> Moroccan cookbook. The only thing in there is a whole lot of salt,
> unpeeled lemons cut in quarters and some garlic cloves.
>
> The other jar came from my Asian/American store and it's the second
> jar of imported preserved lemons I've bought. I bought and opened the
> first jar a couple of years ago. It came from someplace asian . It
> was definitely not something I wanted to cook with. Smelled very
> acrid and "chemical". I pitched it. The second jar is from
> Thailand, "Double Horses Brand". Contains: "lemon, water, salt,
> citric acid. sodium benzoate and sodium metabisulphite as
> preservatives". The photo on the can is of some beautiful small
> limes. Inside the jar are small, whole, smooth, yellow-greenish
> fruits in clear liquid (not syrupy).
>
> Are these ANYTHING like the preserved lemon you use with your tagine
> There are two (!) African stores in town. I have tried them both a
> couple of times, but they're always out. I don't speak Somali, or
> (Moroccan-style) French or Sudanese or whatever it is they speak in
> the stores and their English is quite newly acquired so I can't really
> ask them to describe what they sell.
>
> What do your lemons look like? Did you make them yourself? What color
> are they ? Whole or cut? With or without Italian Roses? If
> commercial, what's the brand? Yes, I have Googled this. I was less
> than successful.
> Thanking you (again) for your expertise,

I made my preserved lemons back in January, adapting a Hubert Keller recipe:

4 lemons, cut lengthwise into 6 wedges each
10 fresh bay leaves
2 cinnamon sticks
2 tablespoons salt
2 cups fresh lemon juice

1. In a large jar (approximately 1.5 quart), place wedges of 2 lemons, and
top with 1 tablespoon salt, 1 cinnamon stick, and 5 bay leaves; shake the
jar.
2. Top with remaining lemon wedges, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, and salt.
Pour lemon juice over to fill jar, and place lid on tightly.
3. Shake the jar well. Store in a dark place for 7 days, shaking the jar
well once each day.
4. After 7 days, your lemons are ready to be used.

Your Thai preserved lemons might be pretty close, though they won't have the
bay leaves or the cinnamon I added. They're still bright yellow.

Bob