Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default slicing cabbage in the right directions

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 10:11:31 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 11:09:21 +0100, "john hamilton"
> wrote:
>
>> Is there any way that professionals set about cutting up and then slicing a
>> white cabbage very *finely* on one of those fixed blade graters (mandolin)?
>>
>> If you are not hitting the leaves in a certain direction, parts of leaves
>> just float off. So is there a specefic economical way of cutting up; and
>> then slicing to avoid this ?
>>

>The only thing I can think of would be to slice it toward the core,
>not away from it. Otherwise consider those leaves collateral damage
>and slice them by hand when you're finished using the mandoline.

No, no, no... cutting a cabbage towards the core is the worst thing to
do... and using an ordinary mandoline will gaurantee you'll lose some
skin. First thing is to remove those few loose very outer leaves, not
really good for much other than compost. Next carefully slice off the
very top of the head to create a small flat. Then slice off the stem
flush to the head. Stand the head in your sink on the stem with flat
up and run some cold water into the flat, this to crisp up the head,
it will be easier to slice when crisp. Allow to drain. Stand on flat
on a board and carfully bisect the head through the stem. Next lay
each half on it's side and slice into quarters... with the stem core
intact the leaves will hold solidly. Lay a quarter on its side on a
board on a cut face with the other face facing away. With a large
well sharpened chefs knife begin to slice at the top end working
towards the core.. you'll be able to see when you are there... then
stand the section on the flat you just made and continue to slice
parallel to the core all around. Proceed to the next quarter. With
experience one should be able to shred an entire head paper thin in
under eight minutes. I like to use a carbon steel knife for shredding
cabbage, they can be steeled to a much keener edge than any stainless
steel cutlery. For one, two, even three heads once in a while one
doesn't need a cabbage shredding device like the one I posted earlier,
a hand held knife will more than suffice. It's not possible for a
home style food processor to shred cabbage, it will produce a chewed
up mess. For me the only time consuming part is to pare away the
bitter outer parts of those core quarters to produce cook's treat.
Those tough outter leaves are good for wrapping fish for grilling.