Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Sam Sam is offline

Default I Love Sourdough!

James Silverton wrote:
> Mack wrote on Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:06:42 -0700:
>

>> Can you buy sourdough in the UK, or is it uniquely American in
>> usage? I can buy it in Mexico, but it is imported from the
>> States.
>>

> You can make sour-dough bread anywhere in the world but it never tastes
> quite as well as that made in San Francisco. I think it is a special
> sub-species of yeast that reverts to the local varieties even if you
> bring some from San Francisco.

Total BS!

LB SF (lactobacillus sanfrancisco) has been isolated in several
countries/continents from continuous propagated sourdoughs.

Personal tastes/preferences varies widely. What you may like best can be
another persons sissy bread.

The source of the special "SF SD taste" is a commercially driven
propaganda campaign based in the Bay Area.
> Nonetheless, making your own sourdough
> "starter" is quite easy.

Sure - getting constant results over time is another question.

Just hope you are not coming back with Nancy Silverton's grape sourdough
stater method. And - isn't/was her Co. importing their breads for the
Bay Area from LA?

Sam