Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] djs0302@aol.com is offline

Default Danish pastries

On Mar 24, 5:49�pm, " > wrote:
> I make 8 dozen of these twice a year. �I take a few in to work. �I
> leave a few out to eat on and I wrap and freeze the rest. �They
> literally take all day to make. �That's why I only make them twice a
> year. �The fillings are made from scratch too.
>
> http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/

Now that you've seen them, how much would you be willing to pay for
them? A neighbor of mine has asked if I would make a few dozen for
her for a family get together she's having next month. She's offered
to pay for them but I want to come up with a price that's fair to both
of us. They cost me an average of 33 cents a piece in ingredient
costs. Not counting the actual baking time, it takes about 7 hours of
actual work time to make 8 dozen pastries. Three of those hours are
used to make the dough. So whether I make enough dough for 2 dozen or
8 dozen it's still going to take 3 hours to make the dough. The
remaining hours are used to make the fruit fillings and for creating
the individual pastries. A local bakery that's suppose to be one of
the better bakeries sells a similar item for a dollar each. To be
honest though I don't think they're all that great. The dough is just
so so and the fillings taste artificial. The cherry tastes like cough
syrup. Okay, maybe not actual cough syrup but it tastes like the
cherry flavor that's used in cough syrup. I certainly wouldn't sell
mine for less than a dollar each considering all the work that's
involved but I'm wondering if I should go higher.