Ian Hoare

Default Question for the group about Bouillabaisse

Salut/Hi Anders Tørneskog,

le/on Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:33:47 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>> south being the south, Forgès (because it has the grave accent over the
>>'e', emphasizes the final syllable, which means the 's' IS pronounced.

>I see, was that apoplectic actor Louis de Funes from the south, btw? I
>remember being surprised by how to pronounce his name!

D'you know, I've no idea. But certainly the pronunciation of his name is
entirely consistent with that. However, just as in English, the
pronunciation of proper names follows no known rules. Cholmondley (chumley)
Worcestershire (wooster) to take but two examples! And to bring it on topic
there's Cockburn (port) - pronounced coburn - chuckle.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Sometimes oi just sits and thinks