Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Poached Salmon

Van wrote on Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:01:49 -0400:

> "Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>> The only reason not to poach (or preferably, braise) a large
>> piece like this is not having a suitable, large enough
>> container to do it in.
>>
>> I strongly recommend using a heavy piece of cookware with a
>> lid, and starting the cooking process on the stovetop but
>> then moving it to the oven once your braising/poaching liquid
>> is simmering. Temperatures are more even in an oven.
>>
>> I usually time salmon, with about 8 minutes in the oven for
>> a small piece to 12 minutes for a large piece. You might
>> need as much as 14 minutes for a very large piece and if
>> your diners require salmon that is cooked clear through.
>>
>> Steve

> I'm with you. Use a large baking pan which should hold the
> fish. Add some white wine (a decent one) and lemon slices. A few dill
> sprigs are magic. Liquid just to cover the fish. Preheat oven to
> 350-275. Salt & pepper the salmon on a
> platter, cover with saran wrap 30-20 minutes before you start to cook.
> Remove plastic wrap & bring to simmer on stovetop,
> then place in oven for 20-30 minutes. Check with a fork - if it
> flakes, you're done.

> Best of luck - let us know how it went!

Apart from getting a dish large enough, poached cold salmon with
home-made mayonnaise or aoli, some boiled new potatoes and a green salad
with good tomatoes was one of the things that Scotland always did well,
despite my comments about comparing Scottish and French cooking!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland