Ian Hoare

Default [OT] Bourgogne, anyone?

Salut/Hi Sojourner,

le/on Sat, 11 Oct 2003 22:46:50 +0100, tu disais/you said:-

>It hasn't been an area that interested me much previously, so I've
>only tasted a few - Hugel, Schwach, Rolly Gassman, and the
>co-operatives at Eguisheim, Turckheim and Obernai. I'm on a learning
>curve. 8-)

If you go to Bergheim, two growers are worth visiting - wildly different in
many ways, but similar in a determination to make wonderful wine. Domaine
Georges & Claude (or vice versa) Freyburger, where a good friend of mine
Stéphane Martin is wine maker. If you DO decide to visit, let me know in
advance and I'll give you his email address. Another, MUCH more famous, up
with Ostertag in the reputation stakes, is Jean-Michel Deiss of Domaine
Marcel Deiss. I don't know how much it costs, but his Grand Cru assemblage
"Altenburg de Bergheim" was a revelation - and that's an understatement. It
was quite simply the most exciting wine - bar none - that I've tasted for
the last 5 years. Stéphane also makes an Altenburg assemblage - though I
don't think he sells it.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare