Posted to rec.food.cooking
pavane[_3_] pavane[_3_] is offline

Default Stinky Sandwich

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
m...

| "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
| .247...
| > I'm keeping my distance from others tonight and tomorrow. :-)
| >
| > Lately I've been craving braunschweiger, which I don't often have, and
| > decided today was the day. I made four stops, first at a local sausage
| > company that specializes in making a variety of German meat products.
| > There I picked up the braunschweiger and some freshly grated horseradish.
| > Next at a local cheese shop for some excellent limburger, and last at the
| > German bakery for a loaf of very hearty Jewish rye.
| snip
|
| > Wayne Boatwright
| >
| I'm glad you were able to construct what you like. I prefer braunschweiger,
| catsup and rye or limburger, onion and rye. Can limburger still be
| purchased in the US? I thought we closed the only facility that made
| limburger. What was the brand that you bought?
| Janet

Lederkranz is the cheese, Limburger-styled and really better than
Limburger itself, that was discontinued a few decades ago. The
US still makes Limburger:

The last Limburger-producing cheese factory in the United States,
the Chalet Cheese Co-op, is a quaint, Alpine-looking building that
lies on a rise of a dipping country road outside Monroe. This is the
heart of Swiss cheese country, where in the 1920s area factories
produced millions of pounds of limburger a year; indeed, according
to author Jerry Apps in Cheese: The Making of a Wisconsin Tradition
(Amherst Press, 1997), they once produced more Limburger than Swiss
http://wisconsincheesemart.info/Chalet.html

pavane