Posted to alt.food.barbecue
TFM®[_2_] TFM®[_2_] is offline

Default Water to Sand Testimony

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:57:29 -0600, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> I have a Brinkman Gourmet bullet smoker and switched to sand on the
>> expert advice of my AFB gurus. It is far superior to the sand, however,
>> I found that I had to lessen the amount of sand as the temperature was
>> getting too high. I now know just how much sand I need to maintain the
>> temperature I want in the smoker.

> The only time I used sand in my ECBG I couldn't get the temperature
> high enough. I couldn't get it over 210 when it usually idles at
> 250-270F.
>
> I still use water or nothing at all.

I use nothing at all in the WSM, but that's a vastly superior cooking vessel
in comparison to the lowly ECB.

When I was still a metal cooking n00b, I used sand in the pan a few times
with great results compared to water. Number one being that sand doesn't
evaporate.
The main problem I had was foil deterioration, and therefore greasy, nasty
ass sand.

I haven't seen my water pan in a number of years, a hurricane may have taken
it. I don't miss it.

I don't cook on both levels of my cooker, but I'm only one person, why would
I need to? I can cook enough on the top to feed everybody that will fit in
my house.

TFM®