Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Grilled rainbow trout

On Mar 14, 1:03 am, Omelet > wrote:

> Oh my! Trout fried in Bacon Grease (freshly caught trout from the
> streams in Colorado) is the absolute gods and one of my fondest
> childhood camping memories!
>
> Fried in cast iron over an open campfire and served with bacon grease
> fried eggs...
> --

I posted this in 1998:
"Recipe for one, assuming you're the first one up in the
morning. Get your fire going and put a skillet on with two
slices of bacon. Walk down to the stream and catch a nice,
pan-size trout. Release any bigger than the skillet. Clean it
there, don't overdo the rinsing. Back at the fire, wipe the
trout inside and out with paper towel and season with salt and
pepper. Dredge in flour, pat off excess. Remove bacon from pan
if done, otherwise (if you caught your trout on the first cast)
just push aside. Put trout in bacon fat, move pan to hotter part
of the fire. Fry 3-4 minutes on each side, taking care not to
overcook. Check by looking for opaqueness inside. Best
breakfast in the world. --aem"