Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grilled rainbow trout

I am on a new health kick after my latest hospitalization scared the
bejeebers out of me.

I dug into my "stuff" and found a wire folding apparatus to put fish in,
fold over, put the slider on the two handles, and grill fish over flame, and
not have it fall all over. The wire parts that grasp the fish are about 16"
square. Handles about 2' long. Hinged.

I was reluctant to use it on trout, as they are very fragile. In fact, I
have NEVER used it.

I laid them on one half of the wire basket, put some garlic pepper on them,
and some lemon juice, then grilled 12 minutes a side. I added some lemon
juice along the way.

On skewers, I did some shrimp on bamboo skewers with a very good local
raspberry salsa.

The trout came out scrumptious. Nice tasty brown skin, and flaky to
perfection. Nice smoky taste. The raspberry salsa shrimp was good, but I
would have liked it a little stickier, and the salsa doesn't have the
consistency I was looking for. Maybe next time, I'll jazz it up with some
corn starch or arrowroot.

I'm going to be doing a lot of trout like this. I used to like to wok fish,
using steam. Kept it together, and always came out flaky. Healthier than
frying, too. Ahhhhh. Time to go fishing. Weather is getting warmer, and I
know where the trout are.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve B" > writes:

> I am on a new health kick after my latest hospitalization scared the
> bejeebers out of me.
>
> I dug into my "stuff" and found a wire folding apparatus to put fish in,
> fold over, put the slider on the two handles, and grill fish over flame, and
> not have it fall all over. The wire parts that grasp the fish are about 16"
> square. Handles about 2' long. Hinged.
>
> I was reluctant to use it on trout, as they are very fragile. In fact, I
> have NEVER used it.
>
> I laid them on one half of the wire basket, put some garlic pepper on them,
> and some lemon juice, then grilled 12 minutes a side. I added some lemon
> juice along the way.
>
> On skewers, I did some shrimp on bamboo skewers with a very good local
> raspberry salsa.
>
> The trout came out scrumptious. Nice tasty brown skin, and flaky to
> perfection. Nice smoky taste. The raspberry salsa shrimp was good, but I
> would have liked it a little stickier, and the salsa doesn't have the
> consistency I was looking for. Maybe next time, I'll jazz it up with some
> corn starch or arrowroot.

Corn starch sounds really good for your heart ...

> I'm going to be doing a lot of trout like this. I used to like to wok fish,
> using steam. Kept it together, and always came out flaky. Healthier than
> frying, too. Ahhhhh. Time to go fishing. Weather is getting warmer, and I
> know where the trout are.
>
> Steve

No it isn't. Frying with proper oils, or even none, is perfectly
healthy. Not all of us fry in 5 gallons of lard.

There are all sorts of health issues associated with open flame
cooking. No one seems sure.

You want to be healthy? Steam or pressure cook it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> I'm going to be doing a lot of trout like this. I used to like to wok fish,
> using steam. Kept it together, and always came out flaky. Healthier than
> frying, too. Ahhhhh. Time to go fishing. Weather is getting warmer, and I
> know where the trout are.
>
> Steve

I have a square device that is similar to one of those. Handy beast.
:-) Have you considered an indoor contact grill? I rarely fry meat at
all any more. That grill is a wonderful device. I've gone thru 3 of
them in the past few years (when the non-stick coating wears too much)
but they are inexpensive. I really do love mine! The brand I get is
Hamilton beach and I recommend the ones with removable grids.

You can also grill veggies on them. I grill or steam veggies most of
the time. I've changed my cooking methods for 4 reasons:

Frying is MESSY!
Trying to cut calories rather than worrying about fat being evil.
Convenience.
Flavor conservation.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve B" wrote

> I dug into my "stuff" and found a wire folding apparatus to put fish in,

> I was reluctant to use it on trout, as they are very fragile. In fact, I
> have NEVER used it.

They are great! I have 3 of them in different sizes.

There are alot of healthy eating tips if you want to start a thread with
what things you were told to trim back on?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote

> You can also grill veggies on them. I grill or steam veggies most of
> the time. I've changed my cooking methods for 4 reasons:
>
> Frying is MESSY!
> Trying to cut calories rather than worrying about fat being evil.
> Convenience.
> Flavor conservation.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their
> foot down."
> --Steve Rothstein

I had a no stick pan with a folding handle. Had a catchy name, but don't
recall what that was. I'd turn on the big single Camp Chef single burner,
and grill veggies real fast with any type of marinade, or different spices.
It would roast little parts of the veggies to black, and other portions were
cooked just a little more than raw. HIGH heat was the key. Easy for a
cookout. My friends loved it. The pan died a death of too much heat. $20,
IIRC. Need to get another.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote on Sat, 13 Mar 2010 13:14:27 -0500:

>> I dug into my "stuff" and found a wire folding apparatus to
>> put fish in,

>> I was reluctant to use it on trout, as they are very fragile.
>> In fact, I have NEVER used it.

> They are great! I have 3 of them in different sizes.

Grilling is a non-Winter activity for me but I find that whole trout
cooks very well in the oven broiler. I cook it until the skin browns and
blisters on each side. I usually find that a sprig of tarragon or some
thin lemon slices inside produce a good result. Actually, tarragon
vinegar also works in default of fresh tarragon.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> I had a no stick pan with a folding handle. Had a catchy name, but don't
> recall what that was. I'd turn on the big single Camp Chef single burner,
> and grill veggies real fast with any type of marinade, or different spices.
> It would roast little parts of the veggies to black, and other portions were
> cooked just a little more than raw. HIGH heat was the key. Easy for a
> cookout. My friends loved it. The pan died a death of too much heat. $20,
> IIRC. Need to get another.
>
> Steve

That is one nice thing about many no-stick pans. They are inexpensive...
;-) I used to use them when I was in college.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Grilling is a non-Winter activity for me but I find that whole trout
> cooks very well in the oven broiler. I cook it until the skin browns and
> blisters on each side. I usually find that a sprig of tarragon or some
> thin lemon slices inside produce a good result. Actually, tarragon
> vinegar also works in default of fresh tarragon.

I may have to try making some tarragon vinegar. I'd probably use red
wine vinegar to do it, or apple cider.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> cshenk wrote on Sat, 13 Mar 2010 13:14:27 -0500:
>
>>> I dug into my "stuff" and found a wire folding apparatus to
>>> put fish in,

>>> I was reluctant to use it on trout, as they are very fragile.
>>> In fact, I have NEVER used it.

>> They are great! I have 3 of them in different sizes.

> Grilling is a non-Winter activity for me but I find that whole trout cooks
> very well in the oven broiler. I cook it until the skin browns and
> blisters on each side. I usually find that a sprig of tarragon or some
> thin lemon slices inside produce a good result. Actually, tarragon vinegar
> also works in default of fresh tarragon.
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

Blisters on each side? So, you flip it? I thought I'd try the sprig of
rosemary pushed through a knife puncture thing. Tarragon sounds good, too.
I get a lot of trout here, and they are starting to look better.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> Blisters on each side? So, you flip it? I thought I'd try the sprig of
> rosemary pushed through a knife puncture thing. Tarragon sounds good, too.
> I get a lot of trout here, and they are starting to look better.
>
> Steve

Imho trout is a light flavored meat so it takes well to a lot of
flavoring ideas. Lemon works too.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote

> Imho trout is a light flavored meat so it takes well to a lot of
> flavoring ideas. Lemon works too.
> --
> Peace! Om

I learned that there are two varieties of fish flesh. Water based and oil
based. I don't recall the different ones now, but one could find out
Googling. The water based ones tend to be "lighter", and the oil based ones
"fishier".

Nothing like an anchovy pizza, is there?

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:42:22 -0800, "Steve B"
> wrote:

> >> They are great! I have 3 of them in different sizes.

> > Grilling is a non-Winter activity for me but I find that whole trout cooks
> > very well in the oven broiler. I cook it until the skin browns and
> > blisters on each side. I usually find that a sprig of tarragon or some
> > thin lemon slices inside produce a good result. Actually, tarragon vinegar
> > also works in default of fresh tarragon.
> >

> Blisters on each side? So, you flip it? I thought I'd try the sprig of
> rosemary pushed through a knife puncture thing. Tarragon sounds good, too.
> I get a lot of trout here, and they are starting to look better.
>
> Steve

Honestly, I can't imagine rainbow trout with either herb.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>>> Grilling is a non-Winter activity for me but I find that whole trout
>>> cooks very well in the oven broiler. I cook it until the skin browns and
>>> blisters on each side. I usually find that a sprig of tarragon or some
>>> thin lemon slices inside produce a good result. Actually, tarragon
>>> vinegar also works in default of fresh tarragon.
>>>

>> Blisters on each side? So, you flip it? I thought I'd try the sprig of
>> rosemary pushed through a knife puncture thing. Tarragon sounds good,
>> too. I get a lot of trout here, and they are starting to look better.
>>

> Honestly, I can't imagine rainbow trout with either herb.

Tarragon with trout is pretty well-known. Fennel fronds are pretty good with
trout too. I've never tried rosemary with trout, but what have you got to
lose? Trout's not all that expensive, and it's versatile enough to combine
with delicate flavors *or* stronger flavors. There are some assholes who
disapprove of trout with bacon (for example), but that's just assholery.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote
>
> > Imho trout is a light flavored meat so it takes well to a lot of
> > flavoring ideas. Lemon works too.
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> I learned that there are two varieties of fish flesh. Water based and oil
> based. I don't recall the different ones now, but one could find out
> Googling. The water based ones tend to be "lighter", and the oil based ones
> "fishier".
>
> Nothing like an anchovy pizza, is there?
>
> Steve

<grins> I only ever use anchovies mashed into sauces. Tasty little
buggers and great combined with capers.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> > Blisters on each side? So, you flip it? I thought I'd try the sprig of
> > rosemary pushed through a knife puncture thing. Tarragon sounds good, too.
> > I get a lot of trout here, and they are starting to look better.
> >
> > Steve
> >

> Honestly, I can't imagine rainbow trout with either herb.

I prepare the vast majority of my fish with lemon, pepper and dill weed.
I may sometimes add orange to salmon and that's about it! Shrimp is the
exception. It gets the above plus just a very, very light application of
dill weed and is quick saute'd in butter and olive oil.

There are some exceptions tho' and this recipe really, really worked:

Grilled Salmon Fillet with dill and lemon with herbed vermouth and sour
cream sauce:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2088s9g.jpg

24 oz. Salmon Fillet
1/4 cup dry vermouth
juice from 1 large lemon

1 tbs. dried lemon peel
1 tbs. dried dill weed
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 thinly sliced lime

Mix lemon juice and vermouth and pour over salmon fillet in a shallow
dish. Sprinkle the dill weed, lemon peel and black pepper over the fish
and then layer the lime slices over that.

Cover fairly tightly with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to
marinate
for about 2 to 4 hours.

Sauce:

Mix:

1/4 cup dry vermouth
Juice from one lemon
1 bunch of thinly sliced scallions/green onions (pre-cooked)
2 tbs. dill pickle relish
2 tsp. dried dill weed
1 cup sour cream

Mix well and let sit in the refrigerator until the fish is done.

Remove salmon from marinade (try to keep the lime layer intact) and grill
for 5 minutes.

I use an electric grill that closes so cooks top and bottom at the same
time.

Re-heat sauce by microwaving for 3 minutes, and layer over the salmon.
Garnish top of sour cream sauce with a little bit of dried dill weed.

Sides for this in the pic were steamed veggies with lemon pepper
including pattypan squash, sliced carrots and broccoli, and the
background was peeled, sliced and steamed yam.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2088s9g.jpg
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Tarragon with trout is pretty well-known. Fennel fronds are pretty good with
> trout too. I've never tried rosemary with trout, but what have you got to
> lose? Trout's not all that expensive, and it's versatile enough to combine
> with delicate flavors *or* stronger flavors. There are some assholes who
> disapprove of trout with bacon (for example), but that's just assholery.
>
> Bob

Oh my! Trout fried in Bacon Grease (freshly caught trout from the
streams in Colorado) is the absolute gods and one of my fondest
childhood camping memories!

Fried in cast iron over an open campfire and served with bacon grease
fried eggs...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote on Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:42:22 -0800:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in
> message ...

>>> They are great! I have 3 of them in different sizes.

>> Grilling is a non-Winter activity for me but I find that
>> whole trout cooks very well in the oven broiler. I cook it
>> until the skin browns and blisters on each side. I usually
>> find that a sprig of tarragon or some thin lemon slices
>> inside produce a good result. Actually, tarragon vinegar also
>> works in default of fresh tarragon.
>>
>> --
>>
>> James Silverton
>> Potomac, Maryland

> Blisters on each side? So, you flip it? I thought I'd try
> the sprig of rosemary pushed through a knife puncture thing. Tarragon
> sounds good, too. I get a lot of trout here, and they
> are starting to look better.

Yes, I flip the fish using a fork and a large spatula (do they call
these fish slices?).

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:58:41 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:42:22 -0800, "Steve B"
> wrote:

>> > Grilling is a non-Winter activity for me but I find that whole trout cooks
>> > very well in the oven broiler. I cook it until the skin browns and
>> > blisters on each side. I usually find that a sprig of tarragon or some
>> > thin lemon slices inside produce a good result. Actually, tarragon vinegar
>> > also works in default of fresh tarragon.
>> >

>> Blisters on each side? So, you flip it? I thought I'd try the sprig of
>> rosemary pushed through a knife puncture thing. Tarragon sounds good, too.
>> I get a lot of trout here, and they are starting to look better.
>>
>> Steve
>>

>Honestly, I can't imagine rainbow trout with either herb.

Yep, TIAD... fresh caught trout needs only butter/s n'p. Previously
frozen trout is not even fit for canned cat food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote

> Honestly, I can't imagine rainbow trout with either herb.
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I didn't think I'd like snails, either, until I had them on the cruise in
January. Nowadays, I look for things I haven't tried. Trouble is, I'm
afraid that when I've done them all, my ticket will expire. sigh .......

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote

> I prepare the vast majority of my fish with lemon, pepper and dill weed.
> I may sometimes add orange to salmon and that's about it!

Add orange how? I think maybe I'll try some on a cedar plank with a
marinade, or some seasonings, and zested orange peel. Hmmm. That sounds
good. Maybe even use orange juice concentrate for a marinade and basting
sauce.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote
>

> > I prepare the vast majority of my fish with lemon, pepper and dill weed.
> > I may sometimes add orange to salmon and that's about it!

> Add orange how? I think maybe I'll try some on a cedar plank with a
> marinade, or some seasonings, and zested orange peel. Hmmm. That sounds
> good. Maybe even use orange juice concentrate for a marinade and basting
> sauce.
>
> Steve

I'll substitute orange zest for lemon zest, then cook topped with fresh
orange slices. Like this:

<http://i41.tinypic.com/2947amo.jpg>

This was baked with lemon and orange. Squeeze the juice over the salmon
prior to discarding the peels.

I'd use only fresh citrus juice over fish. Never concentrate!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news | In article >,
| "Steve B" > wrote:
|
| > "Omelet" > wrote
| >

| > > I prepare the vast majority of my fish with lemon, pepper and dill weed.
| > > I may sometimes add orange to salmon and that's about it!
| >
| > Add orange how? I think maybe I'll try some on a cedar plank with a
| > marinade, or some seasonings, and zested orange peel. Hmmm. That sounds
| > good. Maybe even use orange juice concentrate for a marinade and basting
| > sauce.
| >
| > Steve
|
| I'll substitute orange zest for lemon zest, then cook topped with fresh
| orange slices. Like this:
|
| <http://i41.tinypic.com/2947amo.jpg>
|
| This was baked with lemon and orange. Squeeze the juice over the salmon
| prior to discarding the peels.
Now isn't THAT a lovely picture. Thanks, well done.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"pavane" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news > | In article >,
> | "Steve B" > wrote:
> |
> | > "Omelet" > wrote

> | > Add orange how? I think maybe I'll try some on a cedar plank with a
> | > marinade, or some seasonings, and zested orange peel. Hmmm. That sounds
> | > good. Maybe even use orange juice concentrate for a marinade and basting
> | > sauce.
> | >
> | > Steve
> |
> | I'll substitute orange zest for lemon zest, then cook topped with fresh
> | orange slices. Like this:
> |
> | <http://i41.tinypic.com/2947amo.jpg>
> |
> | This was baked with lemon and orange. Squeeze the juice over the salmon
> | prior to discarding the peels.
> Now isn't THAT a lovely picture. Thanks, well done.
>
> pavane

Thank you! :-) It was a birthday seafood feast and I've not put that
complete album up yet. The sides were king crab over romaine lettuce
with a little garlic lemon butter, and shrimp and asparagus with the
same treatment. The salmon was wild Alaskan salmon baked whole.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote

> I'll substitute orange zest for lemon zest, then cook topped with fresh
> orange slices. Like this:
>
> <http://i41.tinypic.com/2947amo.jpg>
>
> This was baked with lemon and orange. Squeeze the juice over the salmon
> prior to discarding the peels.
>
> I'd use only fresh citrus juice over fish. Never concentrate!
> --
> Peace! Om

Dang, that looks good. We don't get really good whole salmon here much.
Mostly fillets or slabs I cut into fillets. I like to trim the skin, and
the dark blood veins on the side. But I shall try this.

Your food photography is good, too.

I use flickr mostly to post pics. How does tinyurl work? I see alot of
people use it.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote
>
> > I'll substitute orange zest for lemon zest, then cook topped with fresh
> > orange slices. Like this:
> >
> > <http://i41.tinypic.com/2947amo.jpg>
> >
> > This was baked with lemon and orange. Squeeze the juice over the salmon
> > prior to discarding the peels.
> >
> > I'd use only fresh citrus juice over fish. Never concentrate!
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Dang, that looks good. We don't get really good whole salmon here much.
> Mostly fillets or slabs I cut into fillets. I like to trim the skin, and
> the dark blood veins on the side. But I shall try this.

They are not that common but when they come in, they are remarkably
inexpensive. Under $2.00 per lb. on average.

> Your food photography is good, too.

Thank you! I appreciate the compliment. It's a fun hobby.

> I use flickr mostly to post pics. How does tinyurl work? I see alot of
> people use it.
>
> Steve

I normally use Picassa when I'm posting series. I just use tinypic for
"quickie" single shots for the most part. Just click on the site and
follow the prompts.

tinypic.com
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Sun, 14 Mar 2010 02:03:02 -0600:

>> Tarragon with trout is pretty well-known. Fennel fronds are
>> pretty good with trout too. I've never tried rosemary with
>> trout, but what have you got to lose? Trout's not all that
>> expensive, and it's versatile enough to combine with delicate
>> flavors *or* stronger flavors. There are some assholes who
>> disapprove of trout with bacon (for example), but that's just
>> assholery.
>>
>> Bob

> Oh my! Trout fried in Bacon Grease (freshly caught trout from
> the streams in Colorado) is the absolute gods and one of my
> fondest childhood camping memories!

> Fried in cast iron over an open campfire and served with bacon
> grease fried eggs...

I'd vary that slightly from long-ago camping trips. Freshly caught trout
fillets, dipped in oatmeal and then fried. It brings back memories of
some of the better meals that I had while hiking.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 14, 1:03 am, Omelet > wrote:

> Oh my! Trout fried in Bacon Grease (freshly caught trout from the
> streams in Colorado) is the absolute gods and one of my fondest
> childhood camping memories!
>
> Fried in cast iron over an open campfire and served with bacon grease
> fried eggs...
> --

I posted this in 1998:
"Recipe for one, assuming you're the first one up in the
morning. Get your fire going and put a skillet on with two
slices of bacon. Walk down to the stream and catch a nice,
pan-size trout. Release any bigger than the skillet. Clean it
there, don't overdo the rinsing. Back at the fire, wipe the
trout inside and out with paper towel and season with salt and
pepper. Dredge in flour, pat off excess. Remove bacon from pan
if done, otherwise (if you caught your trout on the first cast)
just push aside. Put trout in bacon fat, move pan to hotter part
of the fire. Fry 3-4 minutes on each side, taking care not to
overcook. Check by looking for opaqueness inside. Best
breakfast in the world. --aem"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Omelet wrote on Sun, 14 Mar 2010 02:03:02 -0600:
>
>>> Tarragon with trout is pretty well-known. Fennel fronds are
>>> pretty good with trout too. I've never tried rosemary with
>>> trout, but what have you got to lose? Trout's not all that
>>> expensive, and it's versatile enough to combine with delicate
>>> flavors *or* stronger flavors. There are some assholes who
>>> disapprove of trout with bacon (for example), but that's just
>>> assholery.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Oh my! Trout fried in Bacon Grease (freshly caught trout from
>> the streams in Colorado) is the absolute gods and one of my
>> fondest childhood camping memories!

>> Fried in cast iron over an open campfire and served with bacon
>> grease fried eggs...

> I'd vary that slightly from long-ago camping trips. Freshly caught trout
> fillets, dipped in oatmeal and then fried. It brings back memories of some
> of the better meals that I had while hiking.
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

Fried bear hide tastes good when hiking. There is no bad food when out in
the woods.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote on Sun, 14 Mar 2010 02:03:02 -0600:
>
> >> Tarragon with trout is pretty well-known. Fennel fronds are
> >> pretty good with trout too. I've never tried rosemary with
> >> trout, but what have you got to lose? Trout's not all that
> >> expensive, and it's versatile enough to combine with delicate
> >> flavors *or* stronger flavors. There are some assholes who
> >> disapprove of trout with bacon (for example), but that's just
> >> assholery.
> >>
> >> Bob

> > Oh my! Trout fried in Bacon Grease (freshly caught trout from
> > the streams in Colorado) is the absolute gods and one of my
> > fondest childhood camping memories!

> > Fried in cast iron over an open campfire and served with bacon
> > grease fried eggs...

> I'd vary that slightly from long-ago camping trips. Freshly caught trout
> fillets, dipped in oatmeal and then fried. It brings back memories of
> some of the better meals that I had while hiking.
> --
>
> James Silverton

Mom used corn meal. ;-d Thanks!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
aem > wrote:

> On Mar 14, 1:03 am, Omelet > wrote:
> >
> > Oh my! Trout fried in Bacon Grease (freshly caught trout from the
> > streams in Colorado) is the absolute gods and one of my fondest
> > childhood camping memories!
> >
> > Fried in cast iron over an open campfire and served with bacon grease
> > fried eggs...
> > --

> I posted this in 1998:
> "Recipe for one, assuming you're the first one up in the
> morning. Get your fire going and put a skillet on with two
> slices of bacon. Walk down to the stream and catch a nice,
> pan-size trout. Release any bigger than the skillet. Clean it
> there, don't overdo the rinsing. Back at the fire, wipe the
> trout inside and out with paper towel and season with salt and
> pepper. Dredge in flour, pat off excess. Remove bacon from pan
> if done, otherwise (if you caught your trout on the first cast)
> just push aside. Put trout in bacon fat, move pan to hotter part
> of the fire. Fry 3-4 minutes on each side, taking care not to
> overcook. Check by looking for opaqueness inside. Best
> breakfast in the world. --aem"

Add eggs to remaining bacon fat, fry until done while basting with bacon
grease. Serve with said trout.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein