Posted to alt.food.barbecue
RockPyle RockPyle is offline

Default Water to Sand Testimony

With St. Patrick's Day coming up, Corned Beef went on sale at the
local meat playground (Cattleman's Meats in Taylor, MI). A buddy and
I went Friday to pick up a couple of corned briskets and I also got a
hunk o' shoulder.

So today I woke up bright and early to make pastrami and pulled pork.
I have a Brinkmann Square vertical smoker with a Home Depot Stainless
grilling wok as my firepan and today was the day I was going to forego
the water in the pan and switch to sand.

It was a remarkably positive switch. I bought some playsand and
filled the water pan to about 1 inch from the top, covered the pan in
heavy duty foil and put a pie pan also covered in HD foil over the
middle.

When I fired up the coals, I left the bottom vents at 1/4 open, where
I usually run the unit with water in the pan. As it stabilized, it
was up around 300*F, so I closed the vents all the way (but it is
still not very well sealed). What a difference! The temperature
stayed between 260* and 275* and the coals lasted *forever*! I added
much less fuel than usual over the cook, and not having to add water
was really nice. I had a quicker than usual cook as well, 9 hours to
194* on the pork and 188* on the brisket. I expect to spend less heat
heating water, but I'll keep an eye on future cooks to see if they
really get quicker (my usual brisket/pulled pork time is 11 hours).

I am a believer in sand in the pan now! I expected more drippings in
the pie pan, but was happy to wrap the foil up and discard cleanly.

I am taking pics, and may find a way to post them.

Time to go eat!!!!

Rock