Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bogbrush Bogbrush is offline

Default Grilled rainbow trout

"Steve B" > writes:

> I am on a new health kick after my latest hospitalization scared the
> bejeebers out of me.
>
> I dug into my "stuff" and found a wire folding apparatus to put fish in,
> fold over, put the slider on the two handles, and grill fish over flame, and
> not have it fall all over. The wire parts that grasp the fish are about 16"
> square. Handles about 2' long. Hinged.
>
> I was reluctant to use it on trout, as they are very fragile. In fact, I
> have NEVER used it.
>
> I laid them on one half of the wire basket, put some garlic pepper on them,
> and some lemon juice, then grilled 12 minutes a side. I added some lemon
> juice along the way.
>
> On skewers, I did some shrimp on bamboo skewers with a very good local
> raspberry salsa.
>
> The trout came out scrumptious. Nice tasty brown skin, and flaky to
> perfection. Nice smoky taste. The raspberry salsa shrimp was good, but I
> would have liked it a little stickier, and the salsa doesn't have the
> consistency I was looking for. Maybe next time, I'll jazz it up with some
> corn starch or arrowroot.

Corn starch sounds really good for your heart ...

> I'm going to be doing a lot of trout like this. I used to like to wok fish,
> using steam. Kept it together, and always came out flaky. Healthier than
> frying, too. Ahhhhh. Time to go fishing. Weather is getting warmer, and I
> know where the trout are.
>
> Steve

No it isn't. Frying with proper oils, or even none, is perfectly
healthy. Not all of us fry in 5 gallons of lard.

There are all sorts of health issues associated with open flame
cooking. No one seems sure.

You want to be healthy? Steam or pressure cook it.