Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default Dietary Question

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> How many here have some form of food restriction diet?

I'm wheat intolerant.

> If you have a condition/diet how do you do it?

I never expect anyone to take it into account but lots of people try to.
Folks like to take care and that's nice for the thought.

Once I discovered the difference in my health dropping wheat made, my
attitude towards it changed dramatically. Moo. Give that poisonous
grass stuff to the cows and I'll eat the cows thanks. With a new
attitude I developed very fast and easy mental wheat filters. I scan a
menu or shelf and my mind ignores items that are likely to have wheat.
It took some practice to train my mind to it but it became easy in a few
months.

> Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to do
> something only to fail badly at it.

Something nice happened to me after a bunch of years of active avoidance
- I now get less and less reaction when I get an accidental or
deliberate dose of wheat. If I have cream of some-veggie soup and they
used flour as a thickener I might now only get sweaty scalp and
indigestion. Eleven years in and I can have a slice of pizza with the
crust once in a year and as long as I start chewing gum as soon as the
slice is gone and I chew the gum for several hours, the indigestion is
mild. A cheat that bad and I still snore loudly for two nights in a
row, though. The gum helps push it past the indigestion phase is all

Wheat is my issue. I never expect anyone to care about it or to plan
for it. I never expect a separate dish to be available. As common as
wheat is I hardly ever get in a situation where everything has wheat.
At times I have nothing but the salad, but I like salad.