Old 25-02-2010, 04:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dietary Question

How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was diagnosed with
type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was given a regimen to
follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If you have a condition/diet how
do you do it? Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to do
something only to fail badly at it.
-ginny

Old 25-02-2010, 04:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was diagnosed with
type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was given a regimen to
follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If you have a condition/diet how
do you do it? Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to do
something only to fail badly at it.
-ginny

I've been a type 2 diabetic since 1994 and probably had it a few years
before that according to doctors. I eat anything I want within reason.
My regimen is lay off lots of sweets, which I used to eat a lot, no
white rice, very little white bread. I can eat white potatoes without
fear, just not a whole pot full of them. Worse case scenario is going
out to eat.

I eat brown rice, whole wheat pasta, multi-grain breads, etc. All of
these are slower to digest than the white kind and thus allow my system
to adjust as they digest. White rice knocks me out of the saddle within
twenty minutes of eating some. Sort of odd to go to a friends for a
gumbo dinner and just eat the gumbo with no rice. My best friends always
cook brown rice for such meals, that's why I love them so much. G

Pretty basically I eat a regular diet and shoot 38 units of Lantus in
the morning and 3 units of Novolog fifteen minutes before each meal.
Seems to work for me.

Had three stents installed about three weeks ago and my blood pressure
has been crazy since then and I get an occasional high blood glucose
reading. Strangest part is that I am seldom hungry since then. I have to
eat before I take all those BP pills so I usually just eat a piece of fruit.

My best take on the diabetic diet was eating small meals five times a
day and eating nothing after 6 pm. Seemed to work.
Old 25-02-2010, 04:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was
diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was
given a regimen to follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If
you have a condition/diet how do you do it? Just curious,
as it seems like a never ending attempt to do something only
to fail badly at it.

I am on a gout diet, and a mildly restrictive cholesterol diet.
Overall it is not too restrictive; I limit meat/fowl/fish,, and in a
relative sense limit whole grains and legumes while accenturating dairy
and eggs. It also is a total calorie restrictive diet, because
with fewer total calories you limit the purines you are trying to
avoid for gout.

Overall it is a success so far.

Steve
Old 25-02-2010, 05:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" wrote in message
How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was diagnosed
with type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was given a regimen to
follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If you have a condition/diet
how do you do it? Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to
do something only to fail badly at it.
-ginny

I have End Stage Renal Disease (kidney failure), and should be (!)
following a 'renal diet' which is fairly strict in limiting foods high in
phosphorus, potassium and sodium. This limits a lot of everyday stuff such
as tomatoes, potatoes, nuts, dried beans, milk, cheese, fresh fruits &
vegetables.

I'm not really religious about adhering to this strictly, but try to keep my
portions under control. They give me bloodwork every 2 weeks & my 'report
card' seems to come back with good numbers.

Life's a bitch, but better than the alternative.

Van

Old 25-02-2010, 05:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Virginia Tadrzynski" wrote:

How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was diagnosed with
type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was given a regimen to
follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If you have a condition/diet how
do you do it? Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to do
something only to fail badly at it.
-ginny

Try a "cave man" style diet? Fresh meat and fresh veggies? The variety
of recipes and veggies are endless. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 25-02-2010, 06:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 11:15*am, "Virginia Tadrzynski" wrote:
How many here have some form of food restriction diet?

Not me. I tend to avoid foods that slow down my digestive system
(e.g., potatoes), but sometimes I'll eat them anyway and take a
Citrucel to compensate.

I sometimes feel like I'm the only person on rfc with no health
issues.

Knock wood.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 25-02-2010, 07:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:
In article
,
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I sometimes feel like I'm the only person on rfc with no health
issues.

I don't either.

Make me three. No significant health or dietary problems (real or
imagined). I don't bore people with any dietary or health woes and can
go into any meal situation with optimism and not fear.
Old 25-02-2010, 08:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" wrote in message
How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was diagnosed
with type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was given a regimen to
follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If you have a condition/diet
how do you do it? Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to
do something only to fail badly at it.
-ginny

I don't want anyone to think I'm complaining. As Van said, having said
condition is better than the alternative. I just wanted to know how well the
rest of the 'afflicted' (said tongue in cheek) ones cope. Besides, at
least the cat isn't diabetic...if he were that would be a thread that would
go on for years (snort).
-ginny

Old 25-02-2010, 09:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

How many here have some form of food restriction diet?

I'm wheat intolerant.

If you have a condition/diet how do you do it?

I never expect anyone to take it into account but lots of people try to.
Folks like to take care and that's nice for the thought.

Once I discovered the difference in my health dropping wheat made, my
attitude towards it changed dramatically. Moo. Give that poisonous
grass stuff to the cows and I'll eat the cows thanks. With a new
attitude I developed very fast and easy mental wheat filters. I scan a
menu or shelf and my mind ignores items that are likely to have wheat.
It took some practice to train my mind to it but it became easy in a few
months.

Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to do
something only to fail badly at it.

Something nice happened to me after a bunch of years of active avoidance
- I now get less and less reaction when I get an accidental or
deliberate dose of wheat. If I have cream of some-veggie soup and they
used flour as a thickener I might now only get sweaty scalp and
indigestion. Eleven years in and I can have a slice of pizza with the
crust once in a year and as long as I start chewing gum as soon as the
slice is gone and I chew the gum for several hours, the indigestion is
mild. A cheat that bad and I still snore loudly for two nights in a
row, though. The gum helps push it past the indigestion phase is all

Wheat is my issue. I never expect anyone to care about it or to plan
for it. I never expect a separate dish to be available. As common as
wheat is I hardly ever get in a situation where everything has wheat.
At times I have nothing but the salad, but I like salad.
Old 25-02-2010, 10:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I sometimes feel like I'm the only person on rfc with no health
issues.

I don't either.

Make me three. No significant health or dietary problems (real or
imagined). I don't bore people with any dietary or health woes and can
go into any meal situation with optimism and not fear.

I don't have any either knock wood. I basically eat whatever appeals
and if it kills me 20 years down the road, well, my plan is to fall off
my motorcycle before old age gets me.

Old 26-02-2010, 04:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was diagnosed with
type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was given a regimen to
follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If you have a condition/diet how
do you do it? Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to do
something only to fail badly at it.
-ginny

It's easy
dark chocolate only and drop white flour , potatoes and starches where
possible
also reduce the booze intake and suddenly you're back to normal levels
with in a couple of months for good with no cravings

http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html

http://paleodiet.com/
Old 26-02-2010, 04:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:15:26 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
wrote:

How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was diagnosed with
type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was given a regimen to
follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If you have a condition/diet how
do you do it? Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to do
something only to fail badly at it.
-ginny

I manage my diet by reducing the sugar and carbs and increasing fruits
and vegetables. Combine that with exercising at the gym 3 to 5 days a
week (30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes strength training) and my blood
sugar is normal. I could pass a blood glucose tolerance test easily.

I don't have any set meal plan other than what I said above. The
carbs I do eat are mostly whole grain. I've been known to eat a piece
of cake now and then with no adverse effects. I just can't have it
every day. We usually have raw vegetables at dinner... broccoli,
carrots, celery or whatever sounds good at the time. Reduce the number
of meals with red meat and increase those with chicken or fish. Once
you find what controls your blood sugar readings the meal planning
comes easier.

Don't forget the exercising... it's as important as the dieting.

Ron Kelley
Old 26-02-2010, 08:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Doug Freyburger wrote:

I'm wheat intolerant.

Ditto.

If you have a condition/diet how do you do it?

I never expect anyone to take it into account but lots of people try to.
Folks like to take care and that's nice for the thought.

Once I discovered the difference in my health dropping wheat made, my
attitude towards it changed dramatically. Moo. Give that poisonous
grass stuff to the cows and I'll eat the cows thanks. With a new
attitude I developed very fast and easy mental wheat filters. I scan a
menu or shelf and my mind ignores items that are likely to have wheat.
It took some practice to train my mind to it but it became easy in a few
months.

It did indeed and there are plenty of foods that are wheat/gluten free.
Made a major difference in my health so I understand how you feel.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 26-02-2010, 03:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was diagnosed with
type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was given a regimen to
follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If you have a condition/diet how
do you do it? Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to do
something only to fail badly at it.
-ginny

I manage my diet by reducing the sugar and carbs and increasing fruits
and vegetables. Combine that with exercising at the gym 3 to 5 days a
week (30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes strength training) and my blood
sugar is normal. I could pass a blood glucose tolerance test easily.

Don't bet on that. Just because you control with diet and exercise,
does not mean you aren't a diabetic. A GTT provides full frontal
attack on your insulin production and resistance. No whole grains
involved.

Nothing cures T2 diabetes...you can control it, but you cannot cure
it. - at least not with any methods we have now.

Boron

Old 26-02-2010, 04:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Boron Elgar wrote:

I manage my diet by reducing the sugar and carbs and increasing fruits
and vegetables. Combine that with exercising at the gym 3 to 5 days a
week (30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes strength training) and my blood
sugar is normal. I could pass a blood glucose tolerance test easily.

Don't bet on that. Just because you control with diet and exercise,
does not mean you aren't a diabetic. A GTT provides full frontal
attack on your insulin production and resistance. No whole grains
involved.

Nothing cures T2 diabetes...you can control it, but you cannot cure
it. - at least not with any methods we have now.

Boron

Better with lifestyle change tho' that drugs. You will keep your
kidneys and legs longer.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Dietary ethics [email protected] Vegan 743 21-05-2013 06:17 PM
Dietary ethics [email protected] Vegan 0 03-07-2012 05:42 PM
(2010-03-26) Dietary restrictions? ChattyCathy General Cooking 41 04-04-2010 08:16 PM
Dietary fat and cardiovascular risk Mosaic M_uns General Cooking 0 27-05-2004 01:20 PM
Dietary fat and cardiovascular risk Mosaic M_uns Historic 0 27-05-2004 01:20 PM