Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Dietary Question

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was diagnosed with
> type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was given a regimen to
> follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If you have a condition/diet how
> do you do it? Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to do
> something only to fail badly at it.
> -ginny

I've been a type 2 diabetic since 1994 and probably had it a few years
before that according to doctors. I eat anything I want within reason.
My regimen is lay off lots of sweets, which I used to eat a lot, no
white rice, very little white bread. I can eat white potatoes without
fear, just not a whole pot full of them. Worse case scenario is going
out to eat.

I eat brown rice, whole wheat pasta, multi-grain breads, etc. All of
these are slower to digest than the white kind and thus allow my system
to adjust as they digest. White rice knocks me out of the saddle within
twenty minutes of eating some. Sort of odd to go to a friends for a
gumbo dinner and just eat the gumbo with no rice. My best friends always
cook brown rice for such meals, that's why I love them so much. <G>

Pretty basically I eat a regular diet and shoot 38 units of Lantus in
the morning and 3 units of Novolog fifteen minutes before each meal.
Seems to work for me.

Had three stents installed about three weeks ago and my blood pressure
has been crazy since then and I get an occasional high blood glucose
reading. Strangest part is that I am seldom hungry since then. I have to
eat before I take all those BP pills so I usually just eat a piece of fruit.

My best take on the diabetic diet was eating small meals five times a
day and eating nothing after 6 pm. Seemed to work.