Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Dovey Dee Dovey is offline

Default chafing dish or whut?

"Chemiker" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 17:50:40 -0500, "Dee Dovey" >
> wrote:
>

>>I'm try to determine if there is something like a chafing dish (in that it
>>is used a fuel burner/candle-like underneath it to keep food warm), for
>>actually warming soups/dals or even braising onions,. In other words,
>>something that gets hot enough to boil or braise.
>>
>>I find myself without electricity twice today; so it is a thought.
>>We have a small generator, but it is probably enough for only keeping the
>>furnace going, and the refrigerator running, but not both at the same
>>time.
>>
>>Lights flickering now --- oh, oh.
>>Dee Dee
>>

> COnsider finding an Asian market or import shop. Those little tabletop
> stoves (butane driven) of the type you see in Japanese restaurants
> (for making sukiyaki) are more than adequate for making 1 skillet
> meals. They run about 25-30 USD and the butane cylinders are available
> at similar shops as well as hardware stores. Very portable,
> lightweight, and come with built-in wok stands. I have two, just for
> the reason you mention - chancey electrical grid. Also great for
> tail-gating. Self-ignition is normal. Heat range goes up to about
> 10-11,000 BTU.
>
> HTH
>
> Alex

I'll do that Alex. I've looked on Amazon, but I think I'll wait to look
hands-on at the market.

We have more Korean markets than Japanese markets in the Fairfax, VA area,
but many of the markets are a combination of Asian and Hispanic and they
cater to all.
Thanks for the tip.

Even though we had our driveway (600-800 feet perhaps) plowed late
yesterday; DH decided to brave it, but ended up digging out at least 4 times
to make it up the hill. Finally made it this morning. I see him now working
on putting yet another/different set of chains. This morning already we had
a power outage of 2 seconds enough to shut down the computer and clock
settings. Another 8-12 inches forecast....

Dee Dee
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia