Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default corn starch as thickener

jmcquown wrote:

> Cornstarch is surprising in that you only need a small amount of liquid
> to make a slurry that will thicken a pot of anything. And I have never
> found it "breaks" upon reheating. I prefer it to using flour which
> often leaves an aftertaste if it hasn't cooked completely. IMHO.
> Cornstarch slurries blend in quickly. YMMV.

Cornstarch is a great thickener because it works so quickly, but it
gives a glossy appearance which isn't always appealing. My preferred
thickener is Veloutine, which may not be available in the US. It is made
with potato starch. You bring the liquid to a boil and stir in the
Veloutine and it thickens within a minute.