Posted to alt.food.wine
Anders Tørneskog Anders Tørneskog is offline

Default stupid estimate of the day

"Mark Lipton" > skrev i melding

> I'm interested in this adjustment, Anders. What is legally allowed for
> QbA? Addition of süßreserve? Chaptalization? Adjusting 8 g/l to 42.5
> g/l is no small change!

Oh, I did not mean that kind of adjustment :-), simply that different wines
are being used for different markets. The various bottles should have
different APNrs.
Btw, the Swedish bottles have 10% alc, the Norwegian BiB's are at 8.5%.

Chaptalization is adding sugar before fermentation to achieve higher alcohol
levels - süssreserve is adding sterilized unfermented grape juice after
fermentation to increase sweetness. Both procedures would be legal afaik
(with restrictions) but are little used today (for quality wine, that is).
I have no idea whether the Loosen firm has done anything like that for this
mass market product. Only thing we know that the label says Mosel and
Riesling, so the juice is sourced from all over the valley (even some 15%
from elsewhere) and then fermented and blended to taste.
Anders