Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick[_2_] Janet Bostwick[_2_] is offline

Default top spices?

"StaceyB" > wrote in message

> this is my first post so hello everybody!
>
> i love cooking, i can't claim to be an expert but i do love it so i'm
> hoping to pick up a few hints and tips from here - sounds like you're
> all masterchefs compared to me!
>
> anyway, i want to invest in a good spice rack but have unbelievable
> limited space in my kitchen so may just have to stick to the pots for
> now - do you all have a top 5 spices that are essential and versatile?
>
> thanks!
> StaceyB

There are wire shelving units that hang over the back of a door. There are
other units that can be attached to the inside face of the cupboard door.
Don't forget about the space on top of the fridge for one of those spin
around spice units.
I'd start with:
granulated garlic
basil
oregano
pepper
ginger

That should allow you to season chicken, fish, steaks, beef and pork. Also
put together simple marinades and simple Italian-style meals. With some
chili powder, you could also make some chili and simple Mexican-style meals.
Janet