Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default top spices?

"StaceyB" > wrote in message

> this is my first post so hello everybody!
>
> i love cooking, i can't claim to be an expert but i do love it so i'm
> hoping to pick up a few hints and tips from here - sounds like you're
> all masterchefs compared to me!
>
> anyway, i want to invest in a good spice rack but have unbelievable
> limited space in my kitchen so may just have to stick to the pots for
> now - do you all have a top 5 spices that are essential and versatile?

It may not be as handy, but they can be stored in another room of the house
and gathered as needed.

For us, it is:
Peppercorns
Oregano
Garlic
Basil
Cinnamon

In addition, we have probably another 25 or 30 and some in multiple forms.

We have 3 kinds of peppercorns, fresh garlic, powdered, granulated, two
paprika, you get the idea. Put a few jars in your underwear drawer so you
can have a variety as needed. Some spices are seldom used so we buy the
smallest package and it takes little space.