Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default top spices?

On Feb 3, 3:49 am, StaceyB >
wrote:
> [snip]
> anyway, i want to invest in a good spice rack but have unbelievable
> limited space in my kitchen so may just have to stick to the pots for
> now - do you all have a top 5 spices that are essential and versatile?

What kind of food do you like? French, Italian, Lebanese, Chinese--
will suggest different spice collections. And you probably mean to
include dried herbs, too, don't you?

I'd suggest you just accumulate spices and herbs as you go, getting
something new when a recipe calls for it. It won't take long to
exceed five.....

For future reference here is a website that explicates in some detail
117 herbs, spices and flavorings:
http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/index.html
It's also referenced in this group's FAQ.

If your living conditions permit, growing your own fresh herbs is
highly rewarding. -aem