Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_3_] Brick[_3_] is offline

Default Cook Saturday, Serve Sunday Strategy Question

On 30-Jan-2010, "Nunya Bidnits" >
wrote:

> Brick said:
> > On 30-Jan-2010, piedmont > wrote:

.. . .

> So if you guys had a pit with electronic temperature controls, would you
> perhaps cook to 190F, wrap, and then set the cooker to 190 for a few
> hours?
> Or perhaps do the above, but not wrap?

With the accuracy of temperature that you enjoy, I would expect that you
are cooking at or very near 220°F which is just 30 deg above your target
temperature of 190°F. Given your situation, I would wrap and hold for
no more then an hour. The reason being, that your 'center' temperature
is likely to be pretty close to your surface temperature. The longer it
takes
to cook a piece of meat to a given temperature, the more even will be the
temperature throughout that piece of meat.

> We're using that kind of cooker, and when it's pulled it goes into a
> Cambrio
> for a few hours wrapped, but it really has a tendency to get mushy and
> overcook both pork butt and brisket.

I'd say you're letting it set too long.

> Do you guys ever cook the picnic end of the shoulder? To what temp...
> looking for pull, or slice?

I cook picnics nearly as often as I cook butts. I cook them the same way.
My methodology is a little different then most. I slice initially for
packaging
purposes. At mealtime, I can serve it sliced providing I slice carefully.
Or,
I can shred and use it for sandwiches and such. It's what I do. You can
have my idea to use as you see fit.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)