Posted to rec.food.equipment
Jean B.[_1_] Jean B.[_1_] is offline

Default wall ovens with open-door broiling

Ted Goldblatt wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> Ted Goldblatt wrote:

>>> That could be an issue - I don't know if my new ovens cycle on broil
>>> or not. I generally use the broiler only briefly to brown up the
>>> tops of things - if I'm doing the moral equivalent of grilling, I do
>>> it outside on the grill...
>>>
>>> Next time I use the broiler I will check this and report back.

>> Yes, well, I (the OP) haven't progressed to grilling. Not sure why.
>> Open-door broiling is (for me) the next best thing.

> Like I said, I'm in south Florida. The weather here is OK for outdoor
> cooking all year, and keeping the heat (and smoke) outside helps with
> the air conditioning power bills (we've run AC within the last week
> so...), so real grilling has advantages here besides just the straight
> up cooking ones...
>
> That said, I occasionally _do_ use the broiler to actually broil, but
> that is almost always for seafood, and given how quickly that goes, the
> concerns raised elsewhere in the thread about cycling and heat from the
> wrong side don't appear to the problems for me...

I am in New England--Massachusetts. But weather doesn't deter
everyone from grilling. Some do all year round.

Interestingly, Dacor got back to me (although my question re Dacor
ovens had been answered), and they actually mentioned the control
panel. So that looks like some of the rationale for the way
broiling is done now. I wonder why the Electrolux family still
broils with the door open, and whether there is an effect on the
control panel? Come to think of it, one way around this would
have been to get a vintage range/oven.

--
Jean B.