Posted to rec.food.equipment
Jean B.[_1_] Jean B.[_1_] is offline

Default wall ovens with open-door broiling

For the past ca 10 years, I have had a KitchenAid oven that only
allows you to broil with the door closed. I hate it. Thus, I am
checking out ovens that allow open-door broiling as I put together
specs for my new kitchen. It appears that most manufacturers now
state in their manuals, which I have been checking online, that
the door must be closed for broiling. That left Electrolux and
Frigidaire, which have open-door broiling (see below--this is
actually the same company). Miele and Dacor do not state whether
the door must be open or closed, so I have sent out queries.

So, a question for folks who have bought an electric wall oven in
RECENT years: are there other manufacturers that currently allow
open-door broiling? (So far, I have checked manuals from Bosch,
Dacor, Electrolux, Fagor [not much info], Fisher Paykel,
Frigidaire, GE, Jenn-Air, KitchenAid, Kupperbusch, Maytag, Miele,
Smeg, Thermador, Wolf, and Viking.)

For those of you who might have Electrolux, Frigidaire (etc., see
below), how has the reliability been? What I have seen online is
a bit scary. :-( But then one is more likely to post complaints,
I think. If one goes this route, does the name make any
difference when it comes to service?
*******

The Electrolux family also includes Euroflair, Gibson, Kelvinator,
and White-Westinghouse. I suspect that any ovens offered by these
companies would also be suitable as far as the broiler goes, but I
also suspect that they may have reliability issues.

Thanks for any illumination you can shed on this. It appears that
all of my kitchen appliances will revolve around the oven to some
degree (only meaning that I need to make sure they are all
available in the same color/finish), and I need to get the specs
for these things ASAP.
--
Jean B.