Posted to rec.food.baking
Boron Elgar[_1_] Boron Elgar[_1_] is offline

Default Frosting for a banana nut cake - my next idea

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 20:40:16 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article
>,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> What's your suggestion?
>> Cream cheese with orange juice and zest is my current thought..
>> Follow-ups set to rec.food.baking.

>I was looking at some recipes and ran across one for a browned butter
>icing and that sounds really good to me, too!
>
>Dilemma: Too many (IMNSHO) people don't care for coconut, so the
>browned butter is tempting, but I've got a bunch of coconut flakes in
>the fridgimator that I wouldn't mind getting rid of. Decisions,
>decisions.
>
>But speaking of coconut, take a look at http://www.zoebakes.com -- Zoë's
>got a coconut cake featured that is stunningly gorgeous!

Just to divert the discussion.....

One of the wonderful cakes I recall from the Jewish bakeries in the
neighborhood where I grew up, was banana. These cakes were sold by the
pound from large, but thick sheet cake slabs. They had chocolate
frosting. To die for.

Otherwise, I'd go with lemon butter cream, which would also work well
with your coconut.

Boron