Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Cheri[_3_] Cheri[_3_] is offline

Default Avgolemono (Greek egg and lemon soup)

I saw this in a local paper yesterday, made it today, I thought it was
really good.

Avgolemono (Greek egg and lemon soup)

Makes 6 to 8 servings

6 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup long-grain white rice
4 eggs, separated
Salt and freshly ground white pepper, as needed
Freshly squeezed lemon juice, as needed

Bring the broth to a simmer in pot, add the rice and cook until tender,
about 15 minutes.

Whip the egg yolks in large bowl until thickened. Whip the egg whites in
another bowl to soft peaks. Fold
the whites into the yolks. Add the egg mixture to the simmering broth,
whipping constantly. The soup will become frothy and thick.

Season the soup to taste with the salt, white pepper, and lemon juice. Serve
in heated bowls.

Per serving (based on 8):

80 calories
4 grams protein