Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Avgolemono (Greek egg and lemon soup)

I saw this in a local paper yesterday, made it today, I thought it was
really good.

Avgolemono (Greek egg and lemon soup)

Makes 6 to 8 servings

6 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup long-grain white rice
4 eggs, separated
Salt and freshly ground white pepper, as needed
Freshly squeezed lemon juice, as needed

Bring the broth to a simmer in pot, add the rice and cook until tender,
about 15 minutes.

Whip the egg yolks in large bowl until thickened. Whip the egg whites in
another bowl to soft peaks. Fold
the whites into the yolks. Add the egg mixture to the simmering broth,
whipping constantly. The soup will become frothy and thick.

Season the soup to taste with the salt, white pepper, and lemon juice. Serve
in heated bowls.

Per serving (based on 8):

80 calories
4 grams protein
7 grams carb
4 grams fat

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
>I saw this in a local paper yesterday, made it today, I thought it was
>really good.
>

> Avgolemono (Greek egg and lemon soup)
>
> Makes 6 to 8 servings
>
> 6 cups chicken broth
> 1/3 cup long-grain white rice
> 4 eggs, separated
> Salt and freshly ground white pepper, as needed
> Freshly squeezed lemon juice, as needed
>
> Bring the broth to a simmer in pot, add the rice and cook until tender,
> about 15 minutes.
>
> Whip the egg yolks in large bowl until thickened. Whip the egg whites in
> another bowl to soft peaks. Fold
> the whites into the yolks. Add the egg mixture to the simmering broth,
> whipping constantly. The soup will become frothy and thick.
>
> Season the soup to taste with the salt, white pepper, and lemon juice.
> Serve in heated bowls.
>
> Per serving (based on 8):
>
> 80 calories
> 4 grams protein
> 7 grams carb
> 4 grams fat

I wish I could eat that. Just not the same without the egg in it. I used
to love the stuff!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Glad you like it, I wouldn't have For some reason I don't like lemon in
dishes other than sweets or over fish etc. Did you get any rise from the
rice. I ate half a chicken teriyaki sushi roll yesterday and it wasn't
friendly

Cheri wrote:
> I saw this in a local paper yesterday, made it today, I thought it was
> really good.
>

> Avgolemono (Greek egg and lemon soup)
>
> Makes 6 to 8 servings
>
> 6 cups chicken broth
> 1/3 cup long-grain white rice
> 4 eggs, separated
> Salt and freshly ground white pepper, as needed
> Freshly squeezed lemon juice, as needed
>
> Bring the broth to a simmer in pot, add the rice and cook until
> tender, about 15 minutes.
>
> Whip the egg yolks in large bowl until thickened. Whip the egg whites
> in another bowl to soft peaks. Fold
> the whites into the yolks. Add the egg mixture to the simmering broth,
> whipping constantly. The soup will become frothy and thick.
>
> Season the soup to taste with the salt, white pepper, and lemon
> juice. Serve in heated bowls.
>
> Per serving (based on 8):
>
> 80 calories
> 4 grams protein
> 7 grams carb
> 4 grams fat

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Glad you like it, I wouldn't have For some reason I don't like lemon in
> dishes other than sweets or over fish etc. Did you get any rise from the
> rice. I ate half a chicken teriyaki sushi roll yesterday and it wasn't
> friendly
>
> Cheri wrote:
>> I saw this in a local paper yesterday, made it today, I thought it was
>> really good.
>>

>> Avgolemono (Greek egg and lemon soup)
>>
>> Makes 6 to 8 servings
>>
>> 6 cups chicken broth
>> 1/3 cup long-grain white rice
>> 4 eggs, separated
>> Salt and freshly ground white pepper, as needed
>> Freshly squeezed lemon juice, as needed
>>
>> Bring the broth to a simmer in pot, add the rice and cook until
>> tender, about 15 minutes.
>>
>> Whip the egg yolks in large bowl until thickened. Whip the egg whites
>> in another bowl to soft peaks. Fold
>> the whites into the yolks. Add the egg mixture to the simmering broth,
>> whipping constantly. The soup will become frothy and thick.
>>
>> Season the soup to taste with the salt, white pepper, and lemon
>> juice. Serve in heated bowls.
>>
>> Per serving (based on 8):
>>
>> 80 calories
>> 4 grams protein
>> 7 grams carb
>> 4 grams fat

No, I didn't get a rise, but only had a cup of it. I'm trying to lose some
pounds that I've gained, and it takes the edge off pretty well. I was
thinking in the future that I would add some things like chopped spinach,
cabbage, and things like that instead of the rice though. Too much rice, and
I can spike pretty good. I have never had a sushi roll. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Glad you like it, I wouldn't have For some reason I don't like
>> lemon in dishes other than sweets or over fish etc. Did you get any
>> rise from the rice. I ate half a chicken teriyaki sushi roll
>> yesterday and it wasn't friendly
>>
>> Cheri wrote:
>>> I saw this in a local paper yesterday, made it today, I thought it
>>> was really good.
>>>

>>> Avgolemono (Greek egg and lemon soup)
>>>
>>> Makes 6 to 8 servings
>>>
>>> 6 cups chicken broth
>>> 1/3 cup long-grain white rice
>>> 4 eggs, separated
>>> Salt and freshly ground white pepper, as needed
>>> Freshly squeezed lemon juice, as needed
>>>
>>> Bring the broth to a simmer in pot, add the rice and cook until
>>> tender, about 15 minutes.
>>>
>>> Whip the egg yolks in large bowl until thickened. Whip the egg
>>> whites in another bowl to soft peaks. Fold
>>> the whites into the yolks. Add the egg mixture to the simmering
>>> broth, whipping constantly. The soup will become frothy and thick.
>>>
>>> Season the soup to taste with the salt, white pepper, and lemon
>>> juice. Serve in heated bowls.
>>>
>>> Per serving (based on 8):
>>>
>>> 80 calories
>>> 4 grams protein
>>> 7 grams carb
>>> 4 grams fat

> No, I didn't get a rise, but only had a cup of it. I'm trying to lose
> some pounds that I've gained, and it takes the edge off pretty well.
> I was thinking in the future that I would add some things like
> chopped spinach, cabbage, and things like that instead of the rice
> though. Too much rice, and I can spike pretty good. I have never had
> a sushi roll. :-)

Soup is a great gap filler. My favourite is the old cabbage soup when
dieting. The one where I put lots of cabbage, celery, carrot, onion, garlic
and a large can or two of chopped tomatoes and a bit of water. Add some fgbp
at serving time and some powdered parmesan and its delicious!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> Soup is a great gap filler. My favourite is the old cabbage soup when
> dieting. The one where I put lots of cabbage, celery, carrot, onion,
> garlic and a large can or two of chopped tomatoes and a bit of water. Add
> some fgbp at serving time and some powdered parmesan and its delicious!

Yes, at my weight loss group, we call it suicide soup. Don't know why
because I like it a lot. :-)

Cheri