Posted to alt.food.diabetic
A R Pickett A R Pickett is offline

Default bread pudding

"Susan" wrote

> A R Pickett wrote:
>> I haven't posted for awhile, my life is unsettled. Both my husband and I
>> are T2. I am more inclined to attempt to rein in my sweet tooth, he
>> still likes his unfettered and demanding. So I'm always on the lookout
>> for ideas for dessert.
>>
>> I've tried Splenda's cheesecake recipie with good results, and today came
>> up with this:
>>
>> 2 cups dried bread crumbs - I had a mixture of whole grain and white
>> crumbs in the freezer which I made from the dry ends of loaves of bread
>> and just kept for "whenever"
>> 1/4 c melted butter
>> 2 eggs
>> 2 cups plain unsweetened almond milk
>> 1/2 cup Splenda
>> 1/2 tsp cinnamon
>> 1/4 tsp nutmeg
>> 1/4 tsp salt
>> 1 cup of add-ins consisting of some diced cranberries, some dried
>> blueberries, some dried cherries, and some diced walnuts. The berries
>> were just the amounts left over from other various projects
>>
>> I put the bread crumbs in a small greased pyrex dish, added the butter
>> and stirred it up.
>>
>> I beat the eggs, added the almond milk, the Splenda and the spices and
>> beat them well together, then stirred in the fruit and nuts and poured
>> the mixture over the bread crumbs.
>>
>> Baked it for 1 hr 10 min at 325 degrees.
>>
>> It's pretty good, and the sweet tooth guy liked it! I figure a half cup
>> serving is one carb, more or less.
>>
>> Happy New Year, everyone!
>>

> Is a serving 1/4 tsp?
>

> Susan

I'm not sure I understand your comment, but, assuming you are challenging my
computation of the carb value - how would you compute it? I figured that
1/2 cup of the pudding would have carb value from the bread crumbs and the
fruits, and that counting it as one carb value (15g) would be a good guide.

Woodstock