Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Dovey Dee Dovey is offline

Default Gotta be great? - Omelet pan

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 16:03:30 -0500, "Dee Dovey" >
> wrote:
>
>>A couple of weeks ago I decided to buy an All-Clad skillet that has been
>>offered just about everywhere for $89.99 - with lid. DH thinks it's really
>>great; says that it doesn't stick like Emeril's All-Clad skillet, and
>>others. So.....

> Which skillet did you buy?

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=186716
The lid is made in China.

>>I might try the All-Clad 7" omelet (NON-Stick) skillet at CutleryandMore
>>on
>>sale for $49.99. Don't know. Any comments welcome.

> Have you ever tried a Japanese rectangular omelet (tamagoyaki) pan, called
> tamago? I used to have a very good American-made one, heavy non-stick
> aluminum,
> roughly 10" x 5", with a triangular ridge across the center, and a fitted
> plastic spatula for rolling the omelet out. I'd use it every new year's
> day for
> our annual brunch, cranking out a hundred or so omelets, and they work
> great.
>
> I don't like omelets myself, so I eventually gave it away, and have
> regretted it
> since.
> Here's an example:
> http://japanesefood.about.com/librar...agoyakipan.htm

That's something for me to have a few fun days researching. I've never
seen something like this before. DH spent a lot of time in Japan, but I
have the sneaking suspicion, he wasn't doing any cooking :-)) Although,
after dating him a couple of months, he brought me from Japan a rice
cooker. Our first date was dinner at a Japanese restaurant in San
Francisco. I think he'll enjoy seeing this piece of equipment, too.

I've not done anything more on deciding on an omelet pan yet, but who says
one has to make a choice between the two!

> BTW, have you any experience with Timeless Wines in Winchester? Thanks...

We may have gone there, but not sure; either to Timeless or Salute. But I
see on this page
http://www.wine-searcher.com/merchan...er,retail,1234
it is listed, and is quite close to D'Vine Wines, which I have gone to a
couple of times. The times I've gone there on Saturday they have 4-5
bottles for tasting, and I have bought a bottle or two, but I'm not mad
about the place.

We have to go to Winchester this week, so out of curiousity, I think I'll go
to Timeless and Salute, since it says they are retail. I'll let you know.
but not that I'll have any earth-shattering opinion.

However, the last few months, we have started buying wines from the
importer Kysela http://www.kysela.com/ listed on the url above. I like
their site as well. We have been buying Kysela from a Woodstock, VA wine
store that is selling their wine imports and have liked some of them in the
$15-$22 range; the owner is a nice guy, too. DH has been talking about
finding Kysela's address, but I was under the impression that they were not
retail; however, the url above shows that they are. Maybe we'll search for
it, too, this week.

> (Hope you had a nice white Xmas out there -- we just got home from two
> weeks in
> Puerto Rico...)

I envy you the food you had as much as anything. I hope PR treated you
well. And if you went by plane (do ships go there from ....?), I hope
things went smoothly.
Dee Dee