Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Gotta be great? - Omelet pan

I see at costco.com there are two sets of pots and pans with a high price
tag.

Here is one set:
Mauviel 9-piece $599.99 S&H included
5-ply.

Viking 8 pc $679.99
looks like two skillets are non-stick
7-ply construction
Manufactured in Belgium, and exclusively designed by Viking Design

A couple of weeks ago I decided to buy an All-Clad skillet that has been
offered just about everywhere for $89.99 - with lid. DH thinks it's really
great; says that it doesn't stick like Emeril's All-Clad skillet, and
others. So.....
I might try the All-Clad 7" omelet (NON-Stick) skillet at CutleryandMore on
sale for $49.99. Don't know. Any comments welcome.

I purchased Julia Child's PBS 2 set recently (3 discs in each set).
Recently (a Sunday ago?) a few of her programs were on PBS. I see that she
has lots of omelet-making time on them. I would like to try another pan for
omelets. We'll see.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 16:03:30 -0500, "Dee Dovey" > wrote:

>A couple of weeks ago I decided to buy an All-Clad skillet that has been
>offered just about everywhere for $89.99 - with lid. DH thinks it's really
>great; says that it doesn't stick like Emeril's All-Clad skillet, and
>others. So.....

Which skillet did you buy?

>I might try the All-Clad 7" omelet (NON-Stick) skillet at CutleryandMore on
>sale for $49.99. Don't know. Any comments welcome.

Have you ever tried a Japanese rectangular omelet (tamagoyaki) pan, called a
tamago? I used to have a very good American-made one, heavy non-stick aluminum,
roughly 10" x 5", with a triangular ridge across the center, and a fitted
plastic spatula for rolling the omelet out. I'd use it every new year's day for
our annual brunch, cranking out a hundred or so omelets, and they work great.

I don't like omelets myself, so I eventually gave it away, and have regretted it
since.

Here's an example:
http://japanesefood.about.com/librar...agoyakipan.htm

and here's a cheap one sold in the US:
http://www.japanesegifts.com/product.php?id=696

BTW, have you any experience with Timeless Wines in Winchester? Thanks...

(Hope you had a nice white Xmas out there -- we just got home from two weeks in
Puerto Rico...)

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 16:03:30 -0500, "Dee Dovey" >
> wrote:
>
>>A couple of weeks ago I decided to buy an All-Clad skillet that has been
>>offered just about everywhere for $89.99 - with lid. DH thinks it's really
>>great; says that it doesn't stick like Emeril's All-Clad skillet, and
>>others. So.....

> Which skillet did you buy?

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=186716
The lid is made in China.

>>I might try the All-Clad 7" omelet (NON-Stick) skillet at CutleryandMore
>>on
>>sale for $49.99. Don't know. Any comments welcome.

> Have you ever tried a Japanese rectangular omelet (tamagoyaki) pan, called
> tamago? I used to have a very good American-made one, heavy non-stick
> aluminum,
> roughly 10" x 5", with a triangular ridge across the center, and a fitted
> plastic spatula for rolling the omelet out. I'd use it every new year's
> day for
> our annual brunch, cranking out a hundred or so omelets, and they work
> great.
>
> I don't like omelets myself, so I eventually gave it away, and have
> regretted it
> since.
> Here's an example:
> http://japanesefood.about.com/librar...agoyakipan.htm

That's something for me to have a few fun days researching. I've never
seen something like this before. DH spent a lot of time in Japan, but I
have the sneaking suspicion, he wasn't doing any cooking :-)) Although,
after dating him a couple of months, he brought me from Japan a rice
cooker. Our first date was dinner at a Japanese restaurant in San
Francisco. I think he'll enjoy seeing this piece of equipment, too.

I've not done anything more on deciding on an omelet pan yet, but who says
one has to make a choice between the two!

> BTW, have you any experience with Timeless Wines in Winchester? Thanks...

We may have gone there, but not sure; either to Timeless or Salute. But I
see on this page
http://www.wine-searcher.com/merchan...er,retail,1234
it is listed, and is quite close to D'Vine Wines, which I have gone to a
couple of times. The times I've gone there on Saturday they have 4-5
bottles for tasting, and I have bought a bottle or two, but I'm not mad
about the place.

We have to go to Winchester this week, so out of curiousity, I think I'll go
to Timeless and Salute, since it says they are retail. I'll let you know.
but not that I'll have any earth-shattering opinion.

However, the last few months, we have started buying wines from the
importer Kysela http://www.kysela.com/ listed on the url above. I like
their site as well. We have been buying Kysela from a Woodstock, VA wine
store that is selling their wine imports and have liked some of them in the
$15-$22 range; the owner is a nice guy, too. DH has been talking about
finding Kysela's address, but I was under the impression that they were not
retail; however, the url above shows that they are. Maybe we'll search for
it, too, this week.

> (Hope you had a nice white Xmas out there -- we just got home from two
> weeks in
> Puerto Rico...)

I envy you the food you had as much as anything. I hope PR treated you
well. And if you went by plane (do ships go there from ....?), I hope
things went smoothly.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 22:18:53 -0500, "Dee Dovey" > wrote:

>http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=186716
>The lid is made in China.

Ah, yes. Be careful with the heat on that 12-incher. They are very prone to
warping over high heat, with the bottom bulging outward. I've ruined two that
way; there won't be a third. 8;(

>> BTW, have you any experience with Timeless Wines in Winchester? Thanks...

>We may have gone there, but not sure; either to Timeless or Salute....

I asked because Timeless lists a particular Argentinian wine that I'm looking
for.

>However, the last few months, we have started buying wines from the
>importer Kysela http://www.kysela.com/ listed on the url above. I like
>their site as well. We have been buying Kysela from a Woodstock, VA wine
>store that is selling their wine imports and have liked some of them in the
>$15-$22 range; the owner is a nice guy, too....

Coincidentally, the wine at Timeless is a Kysela import -- Bodega Bressia
Profundo. We had two bottles of the 2002 in PR, and it was simply superb
(malbec/cab/syrah/merlot 50/30/10/10).

We've been to many Kysela tastings over the years, and their selections are to
be relied on. One of our favorites is Les Hauts de la Brune, from Languedoc, at
$14.99/btl (Syrah/Grenache/Mourvedre 80/10/10). It's an excellent food wine.

Another local importer to trust implicitly is Michael Downey Imports. They
import and distribute only wines acquired directly from small family operations
in France and Italy. They often bring the family members over here to pour their
own wines at tastings. (Disclosu Peg Downey, widow of Michael, runs the
business with her children, and they are friends of ours.)

>I envy you the food you had as much as anything. I hope PR treated you
>well. And if you went by plane (do ships go there from ....?), I hope
>things went smoothly.

Thanks. We had a great time (but 85 degrees and sunny every day tends to do
that!) Non-stop flights on United to and from Dulles, with no security
complications whatsoever coming home on Sunday.

The food was great. There was more of a Spanish influence than we anticipated,
and less Cuban. The spicing was generally very mild -- we'd have liked more kick
in many of the dishes. I'm not sure we'll ever be big fans of the dominant dish,
mofongo, though. 8

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 22:18:53 -0500, "Dee Dovey" >
> wrote:
>
>>http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=186716
>>The lid is made in China.

> Ah, yes. Be careful with the heat on that 12-incher. They are very prone
> warping over high heat, with the bottom bulging outward. I've ruined two
> that
> way; there won't be a third. 8;(
>
>>> BTW, have you any experience with Timeless Wines in Winchester?
>>> Thanks...

>>We may have gone there, but not sure; either to Timeless or Salute....

> I asked because Timeless lists a particular Argentinian wine that I'm
> looking
> for.
>
>>However, the last few months, we have started buying wines from the
>>importer Kysela http://www.kysela.com/ listed on the url above. I like
>>their site as well. We have been buying Kysela from a Woodstock, VA wine
>>store that is selling their wine imports and have liked some of them in
>>the
>>$15-$22 range; the owner is a nice guy, too....

> Coincidentally, the wine at Timeless is a Kysela import -- Bodega Bressia
> Profundo. We had two bottles of the 2002 in PR, and it was simply superb
> (malbec/cab/syrah/merlot 50/30/10/10).
>
> We've been to many Kysela tastings over the years, and their selections
> are to
> be relied on. One of our favorites is Les Hauts de la Brune, from
> Languedoc, at
> $14.99/btl (Syrah/Grenache/Mourvedre 80/10/10). It's an excellent food
> wine.
>
> Another local importer to trust implicitly is Michael Downey Imports. They
> import and distribute only wines acquired directly from small family
> operations
> in France and Italy. They often bring the family members over here to pour
> their
> own wines at tastings. (Disclosu Peg Downey, widow of Michael, runs the
> business with her children, and they are friends of ours.)
>
>>I envy you the food you had as much as anything. I hope PR treated you
>>well. And if you went by plane (do ships go there from ....?), I hope
>>things went smoothly.

> Thanks. We had a great time (but 85 degrees and sunny every day tends to
> do
> that!) Non-stop flights on United to and from Dulles, with no security
> complications whatsoever coming home on Sunday.
>
> The food was great. There was more of a Spanish influence than we
> anticipated,
> and less Cuban. The spicing was generally very mild -- we'd have liked
> more kick
> in many of the dishes. I'm not sure we'll ever be big fans of the dominant
> dish,
> mofongo, though. 8
>
> -- Larry

I'll print this out and look at/for your wines listed above. Thanks for the
tip of Downey imports.

I make Alton Brown's deep fried green plantains (just 2-3 days ago) (he
calls them deep fried goodness) but I am NOT a fan of pork and have never
had mofongo.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Dovey" > wrote in message

> "pltrgyst" > wrote in message

There is a message for you I pinged to the wine list re Timeless.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Wine list?

-- Larry

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 14:51:35 -0500, "Dee Dovey" > wrote:

>"Dee Dovey" > wrote in message
>>
>> "pltrgyst" > wrote in message

>There is a message for you I pinged to the wine list re Timeless.
>Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message

Sorry, Larry. I thought for sure you were on alt.food.wine.
Here is what I wrote. Hope it doesn' all run together. I cut and pasted it.

Not much luck on Timeless Wines information.
My journey:
Went to Kysela Wine warehouse and wandered through the huge rooms and found
a guy at the computer who told me that there were no more 2002 Bodega
Bressia Profundo's as Kysela is now working on 2005. He said it is possible
to find a bottle on someone's shelf somewhere.

Went to Timeless Wines and found only an address, door locked, could see
some names on 4-6 placques (attorneys, etc) - no Timeless name - and saw
some mailboxes that I could not read names. Proof:-))
http://tinypic.com/r/x1kqcm/6

Went to Salute Wine - the owner/wife of owner/manager woman didn't know
much about Timeless. My impression was that Timeless is more-or-less a
mystery. I asked the woman about Downey, and she said the son comes to
their store often. I don't recall if she showed us Downey wines or not, we
were so busy talking.

Went to a Murphy Beverage Company that sells beer and wine in the same
Loudoun Mall. The impression I got is that Timeless is only an on-line
website.

While I was in Murphy Beverage, the Kysela distributor person came in and I
noticed him, but she only said it was him after I mentioned the name Kysela.
I don't know what he might have said about Timeless.

I've previously been to D'Vine Wines as I stated before, but/so it was not
on my tour today. ;-))

And, after going to these various places, I am more happy than ever to have
a decent and reasonably priced wine store about 10 miles south from where I
live - Woodstock, VA.

Wishing you a happy and prosperous New Year and 2010.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Larry, here is the reply to my answer to you ( that I posted in
alt.food.wine) from Mike Good from Timeless.

Dee,

Timeless Wines is an online retailer, you can contact us via our
website www.timelesswines.com or 800-417-7821. Most of our customers
enjoy our special offerings section. Here you can find highly scored
wines at discounted prices with free shipping to your home.

Next time you need us just call or visit the site.

Regards,

Mike

Banned

Sometimes it happens in online shopping that you do not get appropriate things what you have purchased but sometimes only . I have ordered couple f items through online shopping but i've never regretted. In your case of frying pan it may be sometimes manufacturer problem or the way of using. but that does not matter . The only thing matters is whenever you go for shopping trust only reliable vendors .