Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_3_] Brick[_3_] is offline

Default Minty glaze

On 23-Dec-2009, "Nunya Bidnits" >
wrote:

> Nonny said:
>
> > BTW- the pesto is used here with green peppers. If you're looking
> > for an unusual type of food that works fine as an appetizer OR as
> > a veggie with a meal, try cutting any color pepper into strips
> > about 1-1/2" wide. Coat them with olive oil and place them skin
> > side down on a baking sheet or on the grates of a grill. We do
> > them both ways. On the meat side, spoon in a dose of pesto and
> > after they have begun to soften, top with grated parmesan cheese.

> Sorry, I tried to reply but the send button hit itself. Let's try again.
>
> I'm with you on the peppers, especially the colored ones. Something else
> love are roasted and peeled sweet red peppers, and I often will include
> them
> in a marinade or sauce, by just tossing some in and hitting it with the
> stick blender. I can't recall if I've ever done that with lamb but it
> sure
> wouldn't hurt the kind of glaze we've been talking about.
>
> I find for those sorts of purposes, incorporating roasted sweet pepper
> into
> a dish for it's unique flavor, that the canned or jar variety works just
> as
> well as roasting up your own. I buy the great big cans at one of the
> wholesalers or Restaurant Depot, then break them down into smaller sets
> of
> 3-4 peppers, with juice, freeze them in tupperware, then pull them out
> and
> vac bag them. I do the same with chipotle in adobo, but that's another
> conversation entirely. The juice from the roasty reds can do wonders for
> sauces and gravies, with or without the incorporation of the peppers.
>
> MartyB in KC

Great idea Marty. Some folks don't realize the savings to be had by
buying in large tin cans vs smaller glass jars. Glass is about the most
expensive container to be had. I have procured my canned jalapeno
peppers in #10 cans for years. I break them down into pint mason
jars. My local BJ's warehouse club sells roasted red peppers in the
#10 cans as well as jars. I have been buying the jars. Duh!

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)