Old 22-12-2009, 04:56 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Minty glaze

Has anyone had luck making a mint flavored mop or glaze that'd be
good on lamb chops? I normally do mine in a light Montreal steak
seasoning, but after some modest success with an apple glaze for
pork loin and cutlets recently, am ready to expand to glaze for
lamb.

Ideas?

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Old 23-12-2009, 01:56 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonny wrote:
Has anyone had luck making a mint flavored mop or glaze that'd be good
on lamb chops? I normally do mine in a light Montreal steak seasoning,
but after some modest success with an apple glaze for pork loin and
cutlets recently, am ready to expand to glaze for lamb.

Ideas?

I like to grill lamb chops with fresh mint pesto...maybe make it a bit
looser and add a bit of sweetness for a glaze??

Oncler
Old 23-12-2009, 07:21 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" wrote in
message ...
Nonny said:
Has anyone had luck making a mint flavored mop or glaze that'd
be
good on lamb chops? I normally do mine in a light Montreal
steak
seasoning, but after some modest success with an apple glaze
for
pork loin and cutlets recently, am ready to expand to glaze
for
lamb.

Ideas?

I'm not opposed to mint and lamb like some folks, but it has to
be done
conservatively. Red wine, garlic, mint, rosemary, S&P and olive
oil can make
a fine marinade or paste, then you can reduce some of it and/or
add it to
pan juices for a glaze. I find the pan juices deglazed from lamb
cooked with
garlic and rosemary to be especially tasty, and the mint will
work fine as
long as it's used to create a flavor undertone as opposed to a
primary
taste.

MartyB in KC

Thanks to both of you for the comments. We make a pesto here
frequently and I like the idea of adding sweetness and just
cooking it down a tad.

BTW- the pesto is used here with green peppers. If you're looking
for an unusual type of food that works fine as an appetizer OR as
a veggie with a meal, try cutting any color pepper into strips
about 1-1/2" wide. Coat them with olive oil and place them skin
side down on a baking sheet or on the grates of a grill. We do
them both ways. On the meat side, spoon in a dose of pesto and
after they have begun to soften, top with grated parmesan cheese.

Old 23-12-2009, 08:20 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" wrote in
message ...

I'm with you on the peppers, especially the colored ones.
Something else I
love are roasted and peeled sweet red peppers, and I often will
include them
in a marinade or sauce, by just tossing some in and hitting it
with the
stick blender. I can't recall if I've ever done that with lamb
but it sure
wouldn't hurt the kind of glaze we've been talking about.

I find for those sorts of purposes, incorporating roasted sweet
pepper into
a dish for it's unique flavor, that the canned or jar variety
works just as
well as roasting up your own. I buy the great big cans at one of
the
wholesalers or Restaurant Depot, then break them down into
smaller sets of
3-4 peppers, with juice, freeze them in tupperware, then pull
them out and
vac bag them. I do the same with chipotle in adobo, but that's
another
conversation entirely. The juice from the roasty reds can do
wonders for
sauces and gravies, with or without the incorporation of the
peppers.

MartyB in KC

There's a chain here in LV, and probably elsewhere, called the
$.99 store. The place nearest us has quite a few groceries,
including both fresh and prepared vegetables. We routinely get
jars of roasted red peppers for $.99, and also get bags with 5-6
fresh greens for the same price. The ones in a jar are nicely
roasted and peeled, thus ready to pat off the oil and toss into a
soup, chili or casserole.

I'm getting hungry for crab cakes, and plan to chop up one to give
a bit of color to the cakes and to add some unexpected tart
flavor. BTW and off subject- when I make tartar sauce for crab
cakes, I grind up some capers and toss into the traditional mix.
For cocktail sauce, my "secret" ingredient is just a tiny touch of
celery salt.

Old 23-12-2009, 11:56 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonny wrote:

I'm getting hungry for crab cakes, and plan to chop up one to give
a bit of color to the cakes and to add some unexpected tart
flavor. BTW and off subject- when I make tartar sauce for crab
cakes, I grind up some capers and toss into the traditional mix.
For cocktail sauce, my "secret" ingredient is just a tiny touch of
celery salt.

These aren't crab cakes, but I'll be doing these stuffed mushrooms for
tomorrow eve's buffet. I can't recall where the original recipe came from,
but I've modified it along the way.

CRAB and SHRIMP STUFFED MUSHROOMS

Makes 40-48 mushrooms

3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (about 3/4 lb)
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh basil
12 drops Tabasco Sauce
2 Tbs Worcheshire sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 small clove garlic, crushed
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 lb fresh crab meat
1 lb pre-cooked shrimp
48 (approx) medium-sized mushrooms, stems removed (freeze & use for soups or
stews)

In a medium bowl, combine cheese, bread crumbs, salt, green onions and
basil.

In separate smaller bowl, combine Tabasco Sauce, Worcheshire, lemon juice,
garlic and egg; add to bread crumb mixture. Add crab and shrimp meat, mix
until well blended. Refrigerate for at least an hour, or overnight.

Preheat oven to 400°. Wet your hands w/cold water, take a small handful of
stuffing in your palm & mold into a round ball. Gently place stuffing firmly
inside mushroom cap w/o breaking mushroom. Place on oiled cookie sheet not
touching each other. (At this point the mushrooms can
be refrigerated and baked later).

Bake 15-20 minutes or until stuffing is lightly browned. Serve immediately
on a warmed platter or chafing dish garnished with fresh basil leaves.

--
Dave

Old 24-12-2009, 12:13 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
Nonny wrote:

[...]

What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven
before

Those sound great, Dave. How would it be in a Portobello cap?
That could be an entrée item.

Old 24-12-2009, 12:19 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonny wrote:

Those sound great, Dave. How would it be in a Portobello cap?
That could be an entrée item.

I agree. I've not done them with portobellos, but I bet they would be
fantastic. Break out the steak knives.
--
Dave

Old 24-12-2009, 04:44 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-Dec-2009, "Nunya Bidnits"
wrote:

Nonny said:

BTW- the pesto is used here with green peppers. If you're looking
for an unusual type of food that works fine as an appetizer OR as
a veggie with a meal, try cutting any color pepper into strips
about 1-1/2" wide. Coat them with olive oil and place them skin
side down on a baking sheet or on the grates of a grill. We do
them both ways. On the meat side, spoon in a dose of pesto and
after they have begun to soften, top with grated parmesan cheese.

Sorry, I tried to reply but the send button hit itself. Let's try again.

[...]

Great idea Marty. Some folks don't realize the savings to be had by
buying in large tin cans vs smaller glass jars. Glass is about the most
expensive container to be had. I have procured my canned jalapeno
peppers in #10 cans for years. I break them down into pint mason
jars. My local BJ's warehouse club sells roasted red peppers in the
#10 cans as well as jars. I have been buying the jars. Duh!

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Old 26-12-2009, 07:50 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
Dave Bugg said:
Nonny wrote:

[...]

Why fresh crab, but precooked shrimp?

Dunno. It's just more common around here. Fresh shrimp would work. Fore
whatever reason, fresh, peeled crab is readily available but fresh
pre-peeled shrimp aren't.

Recipe sounds good in any case.
What kind of crab are you using for the crabmeat?

Usually dungeness.

--
Dave

Old 26-12-2009, 08:21 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" wrote in
message ...
Recipe sounds good in any case.
What kind of crab are you using for the crabmeat?

Usually dungeness.

Hard to get around here. Almost all shellfish sold here in KC
are prefrozen,
IQF or otherwise, so I just look for good qualtiy and try to
avoid the stuff
that's thawed in the grocer's meat case since it just came out
of freezer
packs anyway in almost every instance. I'd prefer to just thaw
it when I'm
ready to use it. You can get Alaska or King crab, also
prefrozen, (which
also in almost every instance has been pre-steam-cooked before
freezing) and
other varieties in the Asian stores, still mostly frozen but
occasionally
live, and from high end stores like Whole Foods.

The frozen shrimp is usually EZ Peel though, shells split but
still on and
vein removed, ready to cook, shell on or off, and I like the
flavor much
better than the precooked shrimp which seem to have just been
steamed
without seasoning. Good prices sometimes, I just bought several
pounds of
26-30 EZ Peel for 5 bucks a pound. It cooks up great deep fried,
in asian
dishes, or scampi style. Scallops have the same prefrozen
situation, and
again prices all over the board, but right now 11-15 sea
scallops for about
10 bucks a pound.

I'm tempted to try that recipe with the frozen raw shrimp,
canned lump, and
chopped scallop meat. That's the best I can hope to do here in
the middle of
the frozen tundra.

Our grocery stores here in LV usually have a big selection of
seafood, but it's like yours, Marty, it's flash frozen. The large
shrimp are both Pink and Tiger, selling for $9.99/# in the U12
category and I've also seen them in U8 for the same price. The
pinks, for some reason, are not split/deveined, where the Tigers
are. I usually avoid the pinks anyway, since they seem mushy,
where the Tigers are firm. Sea Scallops are almost always the
U10's for $7.99/# at most Albertson's and the big King crab legs
are around $13/# when on sale.

Like you, I almost never get the thawed ones: I ask the meat guy
to go in the back and bring out a bag or two of the frozen ones.

We tend to grill a lot, and one of the favorites you might
consider is fresh Gazpacho with grilled scallops floating in it.

Old 15-01-2010, 10:31 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

I think it would be great to stuff some of those sweet red peppers with, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
Nonny wrote:

Those sound great, Dave. How would it be in a Portobello cap?
That could be an entrée item.

I agree. I've not done them with portobellos, but I bet they would be
fantastic. Break out the steak knives.
--
Dave

My rib glaze Goomba[_2_] General Cooking 21 28-05-2008 10:58 PM
Fudgy Minty Brownies Nickole Recipes (moderated) 0 25-03-2008 01:21 PM
Ham Glaze Bev B Recipes (moderated) 0 21-12-2006 03:14 AM
Ham Glaze Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 17-12-2006 01:00 AM
Eggplant with Minty Tomato Sauce and Yogurt Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 25-06-2005 04:15 AM