Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default Unglazed quarry tiles

In article .com>,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> notbob wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?
> >
> > I've been searching high and low. More specifically, Lowe's, which
> > countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
> > cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. NOT! Called 3 Lowe's and been told
> > ...."...no, but we can order them". Likewise Home depot and half
> > dozen lame small businesses. I can only suspect the "line my oven for
> > under $5" is a blantant outright lie perpetrated by snarky bread geek
> > wannabe's wishing to impress clueless sourdough wannebe's like myself.

> It's probably not a lie, but it's probably a single regurgitated story
> of someone who ran across a couple boxes of said tiles that were an
> abandoned special order in the clearance pile.

In fact, you might try the local dump. We had a craft project at church
camp a few years back involving tiles. The person doing the project got
her stuff at the dump. People who do tile work buy boxes, and I guess
they can't return partial boxes, or something. They just take stuff to
the dump. Lots of perfectly good stuff ends up at the dump, and we
don't have room to bury it all, so anything worthwhile gets put up for
sale at Recycle Town, which is at the dump.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA