Posted to rec.food.cooking
Silvar Beitel Silvar Beitel is offline

Default Unglazed quarry tiles

On Dec 23, 3:30 pm, notbob > wrote:
> Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?
>
> I've been searching high and low. More specifically, Lowe's, which
> countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
> cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. NOT! Called 3 Lowe's and been told
> ...."...no, but we can order them". Likewise Home depot and half
> dozen lame small businesses. I can only suspect the "line my oven for
> under $5" is a blantant outright lie perpetrated by snarky bread geek
> wannabe's wishing to impress clueless sourdough wannebe's like myself.
>
> nb

I'm sorry, NB.

I got the last box, some five years ago.

(OK, joking aside .....

1) Just go to Lowes or HD and look. Any tiles without glazing will
work. Heck, tiles with glazing will work just fine too, except that
you will have no easy way of finding out whether or not the glaze
contains lead, which you probably don't want in your oven and/or under
your food.

2) Anything else that will hold heat like tiles will work fine too.
For example, cement pavers or even bricks. The potential issue with
these is weight.

3) Oddly enough, I just got out my tiles and put them in the oven so I
can bake homemade pizza for dinner tonight. Since I bought a whole
box of them, I have extras to give away. If you happen to be anywhere
near the mighty Nissitissit River (Google is your friend), drop me a
line and I'll be happy to give you some.

)

--
Silvar Beitel
(Merry Christmas to all and to all, a good food bash for the