Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Christmas Turkey?

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> I agree about brine ingredients having little effect. I think it's mainly
> salt and sugar, and at what concentration. If I add seasonings, I add only
> assertive seasonings, like allspice, juniper, clove, etc. Grind seasonings
> in a mortar and pestle, and then "cook" in a microwave with one cup of water
> for several minutes. Add that to your brine solution.
>
> Kent

I've been experimenting with meat curing (mostly pork) and when I make
up my curing soak, I use raw sugar, sea salt, curing salts and various
spices such as garlic powder, basil, etc.

I put it all into the pressure cooker and bring it up to pressure to
melt all the sugar and salt, and make more of less of a "tea" with the
rest of the flavorings.

Trust me, this adds _lots_ of additional flavoring to my meat. But, my
brining times for projects like that are never any less than 5 days...

I've not tried it yet with poultry, but I ruined a hunk of beef with it.
Too much salt stayed in the beef. Guess I should have re-soaked it prior
to smoking it.

The pork I've done on the other hand was fantastic. See my Canadian
Bacon pics in my sig links.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein