Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent[_2_] Kent[_2_] is offline

Default Christmas Turkey?

"RegForte" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>
>> "RegForte" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Or Chanukah, Winter Solstice, Kwanzaa ...
>>>
>>>Anybody doing smoked turkey this year?
>>>
>>>I'm strongly leaning towards doing one this year cause they're
>>>cheap and sooo easy. I'll be serving a big platter of Pork Tenderloin
>>>Wellington but I need a major big hunk o meat to serve as the
>>>real focal point.
>>>
>>>I take a simple approach. Brine overnight in 1 C salt and sugar
>>>per gallon. Light smoke at 250 F, then finish in a 500 F oven
>>>for the last hour or so.
>>>
>>>Serve with gravy made the day before. One thing I don't much
>>>like is gravy made from smoked turkey.
>>>
>>>I think I just talked myself into it.
>>>

>> Head down to the Lucas delicatessen on Valencia St. in SF, buy a pound of
>> dried A grade porcini mushrooms. They have it for an excellent price.
>> Mix 1/2 cup dried porcinis with water to hydrate. Pour off porcini stock
>> and add it to the stock that you're going to use to hydrate your
>> stuffing; this is very important. Make your stuffing with soaked
>> porcinis, giblets, and whatever you choose. As I've said in the past I
>> think always works better if it's baked separate from the turkey. The
>> stock, however, is important. I wonder how much flavor seeps from the
>> cavity wall into the stuffing inside the turkey. I'll bet not much.

> Luca's is precious. The only thing I ever liked about living in The
> Mission was being near that place.
>
> I love the mushroom idea. I wish the wife didn't hate them. It's
> one of the few major incompatibilities between us. I cook them when
> she's not around.
>
> The only area you and I differ is with the idea of putting citrus juice,
> or anything acidic, in a brine. Most additional brine ingredients
> do no harm, but they also have little or no effect. Acidic stuff
> can actually do damage by making the meat mushy, especially if you
> leave it in too long. One thing I like about brines is you (should)
> have a little leeway in your soak time.
>
> Happy Holidays!
>
> --
> Reg

I've only tried the acidic addition once, on this last turkey. I used a very
small amount of lemon juice relative to the total volume of brine. I suspect
the ph change to the acidic side was pretty marginal. As I said before, both
my wife and I thought it gave the turkey a taste it didn't have before, all
for the positive.

Regarding the mushrooms, porcinis have a fairly assertive taste, just what
turkey stuffing benefits from . What you might consider trying, if you
haven't already, is to hunt down some dried Morels. They have a more
delicate taste. They hydrate very well. They're expensive, though it takes a
long time to get through a pound. As with most dried mushrooms, after
soaking, we dry them and sauté them in butter before doing anything. They
can, however, go directly into a turkey stuffing without sautéing.

I just realized that in the Embarkacaro there is a mushroom vendor with a
wide variety. His prices are slightly on the high side. His products,
however, look very good.

Happy Holidays to you and those near to you,

Kent