Posted to alt.food.barbecue
RegForte RegForte is offline

Default Christmas Turkey?

Kent wrote:

> "RegForte" > wrote in message
>
>>Or Chanukah, Winter Solstice, Kwanzaa ...
>>
>>Anybody doing smoked turkey this year?
>>
>>I'm strongly leaning towards doing one this year cause they're
>>cheap and sooo easy. I'll be serving a big platter of Pork Tenderloin
>>Wellington but I need a major big hunk o meat to serve as the
>>real focal point.
>>
>>I take a simple approach. Brine overnight in 1 C salt and sugar
>>per gallon. Light smoke at 250 F, then finish in a 500 F oven
>>for the last hour or so.
>>
>>Serve with gravy made the day before. One thing I don't much
>>like is gravy made from smoked turkey.
>>
>>I think I just talked myself into it.
>>

> Head down to the Lucas delicatessen on Valencia St. in SF, buy a pound of
> dried A grade porcini mushrooms. They have it for an excellent price.
> Mix 1/2 cup dried porcinis with water to hydrate. Pour off porcini stock and
> add it to the stock that you're going to use to hydrate your stuffing; this
> is very important. Make your stuffing with soaked porcinis, giblets, and
> whatever you choose. As I've said in the past I think always works better if
> it's baked separate from the turkey. The stock, however, is important. I
> wonder how much flavor seeps from the cavity wall into the stuffing inside
> the turkey. I'll bet not much.

Luca's is precious. The only thing I ever liked about living in The
Mission was being near that place.

I love the mushroom idea. I wish the wife didn't hate them. It's
one of the few major incompatibilities between us. I cook them when
she's not around.

The only area you and I differ is with the idea of putting citrus juice,
or anything acidic, in a brine. Most additional brine ingredients
do no harm, but they also have little or no effect. Acidic stuff
can actually do damage by making the meat mushy, especially if you
leave it in too long. One thing I like about brines is you (should)
have a little leeway in your soak time.

Happy Holidays!

--
Reg