Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent[_2_] Kent[_2_] is offline

Default Christmas Turkey?

"RegForte" > wrote in message
> Or Chanukah, Winter Solstice, Kwanzaa ...
>
> Anybody doing smoked turkey this year?
>
> I'm strongly leaning towards doing one this year cause they're
> cheap and sooo easy. I'll be serving a big platter of Pork Tenderloin
> Wellington but I need a major big hunk o meat to serve as the
> real focal point.
>
> I take a simple approach. Brine overnight in 1 C salt and sugar
> per gallon. Light smoke at 250 F, then finish in a 500 F oven
> for the last hour or so.
>
> Serve with gravy made the day before. One thing I don't much
> like is gravy made from smoked turkey.
>
> I think I just talked myself into it.
>
> --
> Reg

The last time I brined I used about the same salt & sugar concentration. I
added lemon juice to taste to give it a slight bit of acidity. I think this
made made the turkey taste much better. It gave it a very slight "bite". Any
vinegar obviously can be used to accomplish the same. Buy some turkey parts
at your local market and make stock if you don't have it on hand. I think a
richly flavored turkey stock gravy makes all the difference in the world.

Happy Holiday,

Kent