Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: 6 guys taste 11 2006 Bordeaux

Matt got together a small group to try a bunch of midrange 2006
Bordeaux last night. None of us had bought much, so most of the wines
came as a group buy, with Matt doing the heavy lifting (literally and
figuratively). Public did a nice job with stems, decanters and
service, and the food was quite good. My choices (fried oysters in
shiso leaf, and a oxtail/snail ravioli) weren't the most Bordeaux
friendly, but I was in a whatthehell mood.

I had brought a blind starter. Initial guesses were Chablis and white
Rhone, I said it wasn't Chablis and they went more generally white
Burgundy. I confused them when I said not Chardonnay, with folks
guessing Aligote and other minor grapes. Turns out no one was familiar
with the Pinot Gouges (white sport of PN). 2006 Henri Gouges “la
Perrieres” Nuits St. Georges Blanc 1er. Floral, slight honey note on
nose. Rich, good acids, good length, soil notes. I quite enjoy, and
saved some for my oysters. B+/A-

On to the reds (non-blind)

2006 Ch. La Vieille Cure (Fronsac)
Interesting nose of toffee and red fruit, but monolithic and closed on
palate. Tight and tannic, nothing to see here at the moment. Might
turn out nice, but for now B-/C+

2006 Ch. d’Aiguilhe (Cotes de Castillon)
Easily the value of the night for current drinking. Lush, red plums
and cocoa, drinking well, very tasty. B+

2006 Ch. Cantemerle (Haut Medoc)
Blast of brett at first, then it blows off partially. Plums, smoke,
medium length. B

2006 Ch. La Lagune (Haut Medoc)
Good, also just a hint of brett . Nice red fruit, woodsmoke, a bit of
mineral. Could be worth checking out in Jan sales. B+/A-

2006 Ch. Malescot St. Exupery (Margaux)
Really lovely Margaux nose of berries and sandalwood, but I found a
bit flat and lifeless on palate. Very low acid. Others enjoyed more.
B-

2006 Ch. Haut Bailly (Pessac-Leognan)
Wow, I was really surprised at this, oaky and unintegrated. I'm
usually a fan of Haut Bailly, but I didn't like this. Maybe time will
help. B-/C+

2006 Ch. Lynch Bages (Pauillac)
I was just as surprised at this, as other than the 1996 I haven't
really loved a Lynch since the 1989. But this was my favorite of the
evening, some oak but much more in touch with the fruit, the oak
cutting more of a cedary swath than a vanilla one. Cassis, herbs,
cedar. Tannic but they seem fine and manageable. A-

2006 Ch. Grand Puy Lacoste (Pauillac)
Overall nice, but there's a funny note I can't put my finger on in
nose-seaweed? Other than that, nice good Bordeaux, black fruits, ripe
tannins. B/B+

2006 Ch. Leoville Barton
Showing a lot of wood at first, but as black fruit deepens it becomes
more integrated. Big, blackcurrants, surprising oak but I think it'll
integrate. B+

2006 Ch. Pontet Canet (Pauillac)
Lush, modern, forward, big. I think a lot of people would love this.

2006 Ch. Duhart Milon (Pauillac)
I apparently stopped making notes here, but found this simple and
short. Wrote C+/B-

1988 Ch. Rieussec (from 375)
no notes but I know I found it lovely and full, B+

Fun night with nice group. Thanks to Matt for organizing. No true
stunners, but if good post holiday sales I might seriously consider
Lagune, Barton, Lynch, GPL, etc. Aiguilhe is probably a decent deal
already

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**