Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food
ceed[_3_] ceed[_3_] is offline

Default Where to purchase Juleribbe? (Slightly OT).

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:33:09 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 05:51:47 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> Hong Kong Market or MT Supermarket will have them skin off or on.
>> All the Mexican carnicieras will have it for the asking (they deep
>> fry them whole), provided you speak Spanish or take a Spanish
>> speaker with you.
>>
>> Crossposted to austin.food....

> (...or at least I *thought* it was the first time around)
>
> Ceed,
>
> You may be interested in these. These are sold at HEB and are
> almost what you're looking for. These are labeled "Karubi Ribs" and
> are only sold at HEB this time of year. Do not ask me the logic
> behind the naming or the seasonality of the ribs - usually HEB
> doesn't pull these naming gimmicks. But they've had them for the
> past 3 years of Novembers and Decembers.
>
> These do not have the skin on, but would probably be more what
> you're looking for. Note that you will not find Scandinavian pork
> here in the US, and I don't think that recipe as shown in that video
> will produce tasty results when made with any pork you'll buy here
> in Austin. 99.75% Americans would completely gross out at the
> amount of fat and skin an baked piece of pork belly as shown in that
> recipe.
>
> These ribs were wet-cured with Prauge #1 and tons of crushed garlic
> for 2 days and left to dry in the fridge for 1 day. Then sprinkled
> with granulated garlic and coarse pepper and cooked in the oven,
> slightly tented with foil, for 4.25 hours at 300F.
>
> http://i48.tinypic.com/abht0k.jpg
> http://i50.tinypic.com/290wu53.jpg
> http://i46.tinypic.com/24o7dlf.jpg
>
> (I hope I got those right - otherwise search Tinypic.com for
> "sqwertz belly").
>
> These make a great charcuterie platter when sliced and pan fried or
> baked at 450F to crisp (or deep fried? Gotta try that). They're not
> completely in the Norweigian tradition, of course. You may want to
> consider it as an alternative.
>
> I've been experimenting with curing techniques on various cuts of
> pork before I start smoking again. Getting the cure and salt
> correct, for each method of dry and wet curing, is difficult for
> each cut of pork (or mixture thereof). These I did tonight.
>
> Let me know if you need more detailed explanation. It's way past my
> early-assed bedtime. I have a real job besides shopping at HEB and
> tending to my pork.
>
> -sw (oink)

Thank you for that! I will go to HEB and check it out. Unfortunately,
having the skin on is very important. The skin is cut and cooked so that
it becomes crisp. It's eaten with the meat for Christmas dinner (which is
on Christmas Eve in Norway). Also, one Mexican meat market I went to took
an order after I showed them a picture of the cut I wanted. They claimed
they will have exactly what I am looking for tomorrow, Thursday. I will
report back if they come through and deliver the goods!

--
//ceed