Old 14-12-2009, 03:38 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Where to purchase Juleribbe? (Slightly OT).

Hi,

Since I got great advice here on finding good turkey for Thanksgiving in
the Austin, TX area I try again: This year we have decided to do Norwegian
food for Christmas. I am originally from there, but haven't done a
Norwegian Christmas here in the US before. What I need to get hold of is a
"Juleribe". It's pork rib with the skin on. The cut looks like this:

http://is.gd/5mjQy

And this is how it's cooked:

http://is.gd/5mjSq

My problem is that I do not know where I can go to get the right cut pork
rib.. So if anyone here knows of some place around Austin who may have
this, or could potentially get hold of it for me it would be greatly
appreciated.

Sorry for being a little OT, but we are talking meat although it's not
really barbecued. But done right it's pretty damn good!

--
//ceed

Old 14-12-2009, 03:50 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ceed" wrote in message
news
Hi,

Since I got great advice here on finding good turkey for Thanksgiving in
the Austin, TX area I try again: This year we have decided to do Norwegian
food for Christmas. I am originally from there, but haven't done a
Norwegian Christmas here in the US before. What I need to get hold of is a
"Juleribe". It's pork rib with the skin on. The cut looks like this:

http://is.gd/5mjQy

And this is how it's cooked:

http://is.gd/5mjSq

My problem is that I do not know where I can go to get the right cut pork
rib.. So if anyone here knows of some place around Austin who may have
this, or could potentially get hold of it for me it would be greatly
appreciated.

I have no idea how to help you, but it sounds good.....interesting. Good
luck with it, and please check back with your results.

Sorry for being a little OT, but we are talking meat although it's not
really barbecued. But done right it's pretty damn good!

I bet it is closer to being OnTopic than that candy-ass shit that nonnymouse
posted. In fact, it's more OnTopic than most of the sheet that is posted
here these days.

--
//ceed

Old 14-12-2009, 03:53 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 21:50:01 -0600, Ekal Byar
wrote:

I have no idea how to help you, but it sounds good.....interesting. Good
luck with it, and please check back with your results.

Sorry for being a little OT, but we are talking meat although it's not
really barbecued. But done right it's pretty damn good!

I bet it is closer to being OnTopic than that candy-ass shit that
nonnymouse
posted. In fact, it's more OnTopic than most of the sheet that is posted
here these days.

I have noticed that this group has been infested with a lot of trolling
lately. It didn't use to be that way. Sad. Thank you for responding
though!

--
//ceed
Old 14-12-2009, 11:53 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 05:51:47 -0600, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 21:38:57 -0600, ceed wrote:

Hi,

Since I got great advice here on finding good turkey for Thanksgiving in
the Austin, TX area I try again:

Actually, that was austin.food, not RFC.

Sorry. My memory didn't serve me well this time!

This year we have decided to do Norwegian
food for Christmas. I am originally from there, but haven't done a
Norwegian Christmas here in the US before. What I need to get hold of
is a
"Juleribe". It's pork rib with the skin on. The cut looks like this:

http://is.gd/5mjQy

Hong Kong Market or MT Supermarket will have them skin off or on.
All the Mexican carnicieras will have it for the asking (they deep
fry them whole), provided you speak Spanish or take a Spanish
speaker with you.

Crossposted to austin.food.

-sw

--
//ceed
Old 14-12-2009, 02:53 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 13, 7:56*pm, "Nunya Bidnits" [email protected]
september.invalid wrote:
"Ekal Byar" wrote

candy-ass shit

Please stay on topic.

You think it might be related to the chocolate bark thread instead?

Old 14-12-2009, 03:40 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed wrote:

hold of is a "Juleribe". It's pork rib with the skin on. The cut
looks like this:
http://is.gd/5mjQy

And this is how it's cooked:

http://is.gd/5mjSq

Here in Reggio Emilia (Italy) we make something along those lines but we use
piglet instead of pig, cooking it low and slow in a pan and adding some
aceto balsamico tradizionale. It rocks
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rosŤ

Old 16-12-2009, 04:14 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

On Dec 15, 7:50*pm, Sqwertz wrote:
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:33:09 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
http://i48.tinypic.com/abht0k.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/290wu53.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/24o7dlf.jpg

Note that my camera has a problem with pink. *Either they come out
purple or they come out grey.

This is the latter. *It looks and tastes much better in person.

-sw

Very interesting looking.
Old 16-12-2009, 11:46 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

Sqwertz wrote:

(I hope I got those right - otherwise search Tinypic.com for
"sqwertz belly").

I gave up watching pron
--
Vilco
Don't think pink: drink rosŤ

Old 16-12-2009, 03:34 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

wrote:

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 05:51:47 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

Hong Kong Market or MT Supermarket will have them skin off or on.
All the Mexican carnicieras will have it for the asking (they deep
fry them whole), provided you speak Spanish or take a Spanish
speaker with you.

Crossposted to austin.food....

(...or at least I *thought* it was the first time around)

Ceed,

You may be interested in these. These are sold at HEB and are
almost what you're looking for. These are labeled "Karubi Ribs" and
are only sold at HEB this time of year. Do not ask me the logic
behind the naming or the seasonality of the ribs - usually HEB
doesn't pull these naming gimmicks. But they've had them for the
past 3 years of Novembers and Decembers.

These do not have the skin on, but would probably be more what
you're looking for. Note that you will not find Scandinavian pork
here in the US, and I don't think that recipe as shown in that video
will produce tasty results when made with any pork you'll buy here
in Austin. 99.75% Americans would completely gross out at the
amount of fat and skin an baked piece of pork belly as shown in that
recipe.

These ribs were wet-cured with Prauge #1 and tons of crushed garlic
for 2 days and left to dry in the fridge for 1 day. Then sprinkled
with granulated garlic and coarse pepper and cooked in the oven,
slightly tented with foil, for 4.25 hours at 300F.

http://i48.tinypic.com/abht0k.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/290wu53.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/24o7dlf.jpg

(I hope I got those right - otherwise search Tinypic.com for
"sqwertz belly").

These make a great charcuterie platter when sliced and pan fried or
baked at 450F to crisp (or deep fried? Gotta try that). They're not
completely in the Norweigian tradition, of course. You may want to
consider it as an alternative.

I've been experimenting with curing techniques on various cuts of
pork before I start smoking again. Getting the cure and salt
correct, for each method of dry and wet curing, is difficult for
each cut of pork (or mixture thereof). These I did tonight.

Let me know if you need more detailed explanation. It's way past my
early-assed bedtime. I have a real job besides shopping at HEB and
tending to my pork.

-sw (oink)

Thank you for that! I will go to HEB and check it out. Unfortunately,
having the skin on is very important. The skin is cut and cooked so that
it becomes crisp. It's eaten with the meat for Christmas dinner (which is
on Christmas Eve in Norway). Also, one Mexican meat market I went to took
an order after I showed them a picture of the cut I wanted. They claimed
they will have exactly what I am looking for tomorrow, Thursday. I will
report back if they come through and deliver the goods!

--
//ceed
Old 16-12-2009, 03:35 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:50:02 -0600, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:33:09 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

http://i48.tinypic.com/abht0k.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/290wu53.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/24o7dlf.jpg

Note that my camera has a problem with pink. Either they come out
purple or they come out grey.

This is the latter. It looks and tastes much better in person.

-sw

Looks very close. I'm on my way to have a look in person!
--
//ceed

Old 16-12-2009, 03:44 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

On 15-Dec-2009, Sqwertz wrote:

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:33:09 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

http://i48.tinypic.com/abht0k.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/290wu53.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/24o7dlf.jpg

Note that my camera has a problem with pink. Either they come out
purple or they come out grey.

This is the latter. It looks and tastes much better in person.

-sw

My monitor (laptop) displays them quite nicely. They are not gray.
They look liike real pork.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Old 16-12-2009, 03:46 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

On 15-Dec-2009, Sqwertz wrote:

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:14:02 -0800 (PST), Tutall wrote:

On Dec 15, 7:50*pm, Sqwertz wrote:
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:33:09 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
http://i48.tinypic.com/abht0k.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/290wu53.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/24o7dlf.jpg

Note that my camera has a problem with pink. *Either they come out
purple or they come out grey.

This is the latter. *It looks and tastes much better in person.

Very interesting looking.

Thanks. I think ;-)

The pictures don't do this stuff justice. I just whip out these
pictures in a few seconds wihtout attention to details such as
lighting, etc.... Sorry if it kinda trips some of you out :-)

-sw

Didn't trip me out. The pictures are fine. Nice size, nice color.
Couldn't/wouldn't want anything better.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Old 16-12-2009, 10:22 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:21:07 -0600, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:34:39 -0600, ceed wrote:

Thank you for that! I will go to HEB and check it out. Unfortunately,
having the skin on is very important. The skin is cut and cooked so that
it becomes crisp. It's eaten with the meat for Christmas dinner (which
is
on Christmas Eve in Norway). Also, one Mexican meat market I went to
took
an order after I showed them a picture of the cut I wanted. They claimed
they will have exactly what I am looking for tomorrow, Thursday. I will
report back if they come through and deliver the goods!

Let us know which one it was if they come through (I'm sure they
will).

-sw

It's:

La Michoacana Meat Market
1917 E 7th Street
Austin, TX 78702

--
//ceed
Old 17-12-2009, 09:58 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

ceed wrote:

It's:

La Michoacana Meat Market
1917 E 7th Street
Austin, TX 78702

I pass it twice a day. As well as the on Stassney. I avoid shopping
there because they have a rule that you have to leave backpacks at the
front door where anybody can just walk out with them. Same reson I don't
shop at the HEB on Congress.

They don't make women leave their purses at the front door...

I go the La Haciendas instead. A new one opened on Stassney a couple
months ago, across First street from La Michoacana.

-sw

Old 18-12-2009, 12:16 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:33:09 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

http://i48.tinypic.com/abht0k.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/290wu53.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/24o7dlf.jpg

Note that my camera has a problem with pink. Either they come out
purple or they come out grey.

This is the latter. It looks and tastes much better in person.

-sw

Actually, those pics aren't half bad. :-) Looks appetizing.
Would you like me to harvest them and run them thru photoshop for you?

It's actually easier to enhance the reds and pinks than compensate for
purpling.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein