Posted to alt.food.wine
IanH IanH is offline

Default Pinot Grigio

Hi,

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 13:27:22 -0800 (PST), Bobchai >
wrote:

>On Nov 6, 7:51*am, "pavane" > wrote:

>This is music to my ears. It confirms my suspicion that Germany,
>Austria and Hungary might be the best places for pinot gris/pinot
>grigio. I have a lot of contacts in Hungary. The area around Sopron
>and Balaton would be ideal, but I don't know what the grape is called
>in Hungarian.

As others have said, Szürkebarát. I've not heard of it doing that
well in Sopron where the kékfrankos (blue french) is the traditional
grape grown.

However on the northern side of Lake Balaton, (therefore on south
facing slopes) the volcani hill of Badacsony produces Baacsonyi
Szürkebarát which was one of the top Hungarian wines IMO. It was THE
quintessential "difficult food" wine, accompanying the rich and spicy
type of hungarian food to perfection. When I last visited the area, it
was impossible to find a decent example, but maybe one day the local
growers will find their feet again and start producing a wine that
fulfils its potential.

I'd love to try one against chinese or indian food, because that's the
wine I always think of in that context, and which I have to sub an
Alsace Gewurz in place of.

(Yeuch, sorry about the frightful grammar).
,
--
All the best
Fatty from Forges