Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default New Meat Grinder

brooklyn1 wrote:

> "Pete C." wrote:
> >
> >2. Do not grind then freeze, this negates much of the benefit of
> >grinding meat at home. The grinding should be done immediately before
> >it's going to be cooked, minutes count. If you are going to freeze,
> >freeze the whole cut, and then grind it immediately before use after
> >defrosting.

> Yes, it's better to grind right before cooking but then that negates
> the benefit of time and effort saved from bulk grinding. The main
> benefit of grinding ones own is cleanliness, and knowing with
> certainty what and who you're eating... but with many ground meat
> dishes it don't matter much if it was frozen after grinding, any dish
> where other ingredients are added, like meat loaf and chili the
> freshness of the grind will not really be detectable... it's only with
> a plain burger that it matters. But unfortunately that meat wasn't
> ground, it was crushed and extruded (in grinding parlance, smeared).
> Those Toys R Us thingies are not capable of grinding meat.

I can say with certainty that the difference between fresh ground and
cooked meat vs. stale oxidized ground and cooked meat is very apparent
even in dishes with other ingredients, such as lasagna, stroganoff, even
sloppy Joe's.

The KA grinder most certainly does grind meat, the cutter blade is
plenty sharp. The only difference is the size, and the KA is much more
efficient for single meal grindings than some monster #32 grinder.