Posted to alt.food.wine
pavane[_3_] pavane[_3_] is offline

Default Pinot Grigio

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote in message

| "Steve Slatcher" > skrev i melding
| > Bobchai wrote:
| >
| >>I never knew that pinot grigio
| >> was being grown extensively in Germany
| >
| > It not unusual, but I am not sure how extensively it is grown. It is
| > usually called Grauburgunder or, more traditionally, Ruländer. Never
| > heard of one being sold as Pinot Grigio before.
| >
| Wein-Plus lists Pinot Gris (with synonyms Grauburgunder and Ruländer) as
| comprising 4.3% of the growing area in Germany - 4.413 hectares - about
| 11.000 acres, I believe
|
| Anders

At a tasting held by Ernst Loosen a few weeks ago we sampled Dr. Loosen's
Villa Wolf Pinot Gris; it was a convincing wine, quite comparable to the
majority of Italian Pinot Grigios, perhaps slightly lighter and more subtle.
Apparently they have grown PG for quite a while:
http://www.jlwolf.com/wines_vines.htm

"
Pinot Gris has a very long tradition in the Pfalz region. In fact, it was here that
the variety was first identified. Villa Wolf Pinot Gris is made in a full-bodied,
dry style with refreshing, unoaked fruit and a crackling texture."

pavane