Posted to alt.food.wine
enoavidh[_1_] enoavidh[_1_] is offline

Default Never to be drunk w/food

cwdjrxyz > wrote in news:834baadc-63d1-4c25-bc1d-
:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheepshead_(fish) .
> I could not find the dish made from this fish, but I did find a dish
> called Timbale of Fillets of Sole from the late 1800s that may
> indicate how such dishes are made. A timbale paste is made from 1
> pound of flour, 3/4 pound butter, 5 egg yolks and some salt and water.
> This is used to bake a large timbale shell using a special timbale
> pan. The inside of the baked timbale is glazed( I would guess that a
> fish or chicken glaze would be used). The sole fillets are poached in
> butter with salt and lemon juice. Then allemande sauce with minced
> truffles and mushrooms is added to the sole and this mixture is used
> to fill the timbale shell. Crayfish are used to garnish the top. There
> also is another garnish in the form of little pasta cakes with yet
> more truffles. Such a dish would be extremely rich and would require a
> wine of great intensity not to be over powered by it. Yquem perhaps
> has the needed intensity, but I am not sure the match would please
> some modern tastes.

Google Books shows page 190 of Matt Kramer's Making Sense of Wine:
"Grilled lobster; Timbales of Sheepshead with Sauce Ambassadrice {a type of
porgy or drum fish molded and sauced with a chicken stock and cream sauce
into which a chicken puree and whipped cream are blended}; and a Tomato
Salad; with Chateau d'Yquem"
Which looks like it might be the same Delmonico's menu? (page 189 isn't
shown).
http://preview.tinyurl.com/y99nfqh