Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Evelyn Evelyn is offline

Default Substitute for Condensed Milk?

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
>I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country today
> and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14 oz) can of
> sweetened condensed milk in the filling. Much of the rest of the filling
> ingredients are easily made or are low carb friendly(lime juice, cream
> cheese, a little gelatin,a little vanilla pudding and some sugar). Have
> any of you ay idea how to make swweetened evaporated mlk to substitute.
> How much artificial sweetener would be needed and could you just mix it in
> a 14oz can or would you hae to reduce the amount of milk as you do bitter
> chocolate if you are making it a replacement for a sweetened chocolate?
>
> It might be fun to try this wit a nut, rather than a grahm cracker crust
> for a different treat.
>
> They also had a mile high lemon meringue pie with a custard I might use
> with regular meringue make with an artifcial sweetener-not the Italian
> meringue with sugar syrup that they used. It would not be mile high, just
> a few feet:-)
>
> Wendy

I would guess that recipe might need some serious tweaking. Something like
whipped cream folded into the other ingredients, possibly? Splenda and
heavy cream might be the best substitutes, but sweetened condensed milk is
definitely a no-no for us. You could possibly use regular condensed milk
(unsweetened) and add splenda to that. But then you would most likely need
to tweak the amount of gelatin in it.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8