Old 31-10-2009, 07:00 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Substitute for Condensed Milk?

I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country today
and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14 oz) can of
sweetened condensed milk in the filling. Much of the rest of the filling
ingredients are easily made or are low carb friendly(lime juice, cream
cheese, a little gelatin,a little vanilla pudding and some sugar). Have
any of you ay idea how to make swweetened evaporated mlk to substitute.
How much artificial sweetener would be needed and could you just mix it in
a 14oz can or would you hae to reduce the amount of milk as you do bitter
chocolate if you are making it a replacement for a sweetened chocolate?

It might be fun to try this wit a nut, rather than a grahm cracker crust
for a different treat.

They also had a mile high lemon meringue pie with a custard I might use
with regular meringue make with an artifcial sweetener-not the Italian
meringue with sugar syrup that they used. It would not be mile high, just
a few feet:-)

Wendy

Old 31-10-2009, 09:28 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country today
and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14 oz) can of
sweetened condensed milk in the filling. Much of the rest of the filling
ingredients are easily made or are low carb friendly(lime juice, cream
cheese, a little gelatin,a little vanilla pudding and some sugar). Have
any of you ay idea how to make swweetened evaporated mlk to substitute.
How much artificial sweetener would be needed and could you just mix it in
a 14oz can or would you hae to reduce the amount of milk as you do bitter
chocolate if you are making it a replacement for a sweetened chocolate?

Wendy, I think I'd try substituting heavy cream with some artificial
sweetener mixed in.

PP
Old 31-10-2009, 10:18 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

[...]

I use heavy cream and Splenda. I think what I did was look at the sugar
content on a can of condensed milk at the supermarket, and see what the
carb content was, and then worked backward, assuming that some of the
carbs were lactose in the milk.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
Old 01-11-2009, 01:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country
today and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14
oz) can of sweetened condensed milk in the filling.

What about these ideas:

http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/lowcarb/keylime.html

http://www.divinerecipes.com/recipe....ime-Cheesecake

http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/RECIPE...me_locarb.html

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/key-lim...on/detail.aspx

Old 01-11-2009, 03:11 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote:
[...]

Googling on condensed milk substitutions seemed to give me dry milk powder
as a common ingredient. High lactose IIRC.

I'd try heavy cream and Sweeta. At worst, you'd have to add your
experiments to coffee and such (or send to me for disposal)!

Zei gezunt, Shvester!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Old 01-11-2009, 03:12 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country today
and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14 oz) can
of sweetened condensed milk in the filling. Much of the rest of the
filling ingredients are easily made or are low carb friendly(lime
juice, cream cheese, a little gelatin,a little vanilla pudding and some
sugar). Have any of you ay idea how to make swweetened evaporated mlk
to substitute. How much artificial sweetener would be needed and could
you just mix it in a 14oz can or would you hae to reduce the amount of
milk as you do bitter chocolate if you are making it a replacement for
a sweetened chocolate?

Wendy, I think I'd try substituting heavy cream with some artificial
sweetener mixed in.

LMAO Maybe I should read ahead before posting!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Old 01-11-2009, 03:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alice Faber wrote:
"W. Baker" wrote:

[...]

I knew that!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Old 01-11-2009, 04:08 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

for pumkin pie i use a extra egg and heavy cream and splenda..works
fine..taste the same with same texture.

you could try cream with extra cream cheese and splenda..since it s key lime
pie anyhoo...

KROM

Old 01-11-2009, 04:33 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

krom wrote:
: for pumkin pie i use a extra egg and heavy cream and splenda..works
: fine..taste the same with same texture.

: you could try cream with extra cream cheese and splenda..since it s key lime
: pie anyhoo...

: KROM

Ynfortunately no eggs as this is a no-cook recipe. also the recipes I
looked at on lne called for lots of gelatine, which my recipe(which I hope
to get on line wht America's test Kitchen posts it) cut back(they used
some vanilla pudding as a thicken as well as a small amount of gelatine)
I had thought of double skimmed milk powder + cream and splenda. Maybe
more cream cheese, ending up with a kind of key lime cheesecake:-)
Somehow using al heavy cream bothers my overweight heart:-)

Wendy
Old 01-11-2009, 05:30 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
[...]

I would guess that recipe might need some serious tweaking. Something like
whipped cream folded into the other ingredients, possibly? Splenda and
heavy cream might be the best substitutes, but sweetened condensed milk is
definitely a no-no for us. You could possibly use regular condensed milk
(unsweetened) and add splenda to that. But then you would most likely need
to tweak the amount of gelatin in it.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Old 01-11-2009, 05:32 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" wrote in message
"W. Baker" wrote:

[...]

If you have a low carb version of Key Lime pie, I would love to try it. It
is a great favorite of my husband's.
--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipāta 1.8

Old 01-11-2009, 05:45 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote:

[...]

Sorry, no. I do low carb pumpkin pie with the cream and Splenda, with a straight substitution in the recipe on the pumpkin can (well,
added Splenda, to account for the sweetness in the condensed milk).

Old 01-11-2009, 07:42 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote:

[...]

That's OK. Some suggestions were offered by other readers. :-)

Old 01-11-2009, 10:01 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Nov 1, 7:33*am, "W. Baker" wrote:
krom wrote:

: for pumkin pie i use a extra egg and heavy cream and splenda..works
: fine..taste the same with same texture.

: you could try cream with extra cream cheese and splenda..since it s key lime
: pie anyhoo...

: KROM

Ynfortunately no eggs as this is a no-cook recipe. * also the recipes I
looked at on lne called for lots of gelatine, which my recipe(which I hope
to get on line wht America's test Kitchen posts it) cut back(they used
some vanilla pudding as a thicken as well as a small amount of gelatine) *
I had thought of double skimmed milk powder + cream and splenda. *Maybe
more cream cheese, ending up with a kind of key lime cheesecake:-)
Somehow using al *heavy cream bothers my overweight heart:-)

Wendy

Hi Wendy, what about xanthum gum sprinkled in a milk/cream mixture to
thicken and splenda to sweeten? I've never used xanthum gum though,
so can't say how it works/tastes. Would almond flour act as a
thickener?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:32 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
: ...
:
: It might be fun to try this wit a nut, rather than a grahm cracker crust
: for a different treat.
:
: They also had a mile high lemon meringue pie with a custard I might use
: with regular meringue make with an artifcial sweetener-not the Italian
: meringue with sugar syrup that they used. It would not be mile high, just
: a few feet:-)
:
: Wendy

: whipped cream folded into the other ingredients, possibly? Splenda and
: heavy cream might be the best substitutes, but sweetened condensed milk is
: definitely a no-no for us. You could possibly use regular condensed milk
: (unsweetened) and add splenda to that. But then you would most likely need
: to tweak the amount of gelatin in it.

: Evelyn

That was my first thought, evaporated mlk( similar to condensed, but no
sugar) adn added splenda, but I would use less than the whole can of milk
as the sugar in the condensed must take up some of the space as does the
sugar in chocolate mixtures as I leardned when I made a one to one
substittion in a mousse recipe, using 12 oz of bitter baking choclate to
replace 12 oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips. I now know that 5-7 oz of
the baking chocolate works correctly and is not overpowering.

Wendy