Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Substitute for Condensed Milk?

I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country today
and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14 oz) can of
sweetened condensed milk in the filling. Much of the rest of the filling
ingredients are easily made or are low carb friendly(lime juice, cream
cheese, a little gelatin,a little vanilla pudding and some sugar). Have
any of you ay idea how to make swweetened evaporated mlk to substitute.
How much artificial sweetener would be needed and could you just mix it in
a 14oz can or would you hae to reduce the amount of milk as you do bitter
chocolate if you are making it a replacement for a sweetened chocolate?

It might be fun to try this wit a nut, rather than a grahm cracker crust
for a different treat.

They also had a mile high lemon meringue pie with a custard I might use
with regular meringue make with an artifcial sweetener-not the Italian
meringue with sugar syrup that they used. It would not be mile high, just
a few feet:-)

Wendy