Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default Sweet Potato Fries

"Brick" > wrote in message
ter.com...

> On 30-Oct-2009, "Nonny" > wrote:

>> "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote
>> in
>> message ...

>> > Can you elaborate? I don't follow what you were doing there.

>> I found it necessary to remove the skin from the sweet potatoes
>> before running them through my "residential-grade" french fry
>> cutter. They're too hard, without softening to go through
>> without
>> excessive and damaging force to the plastic cutter. If I had a
>> good SS or cast french fry cutter, then I'd do them raw and
>> include the skin, since I love the skin of a potato and feel it
>> adds to both the flavor, texture and nutrition. By "nuke," of
>> course I refer to the microwave oven, which I use to soften the
>> sweet potatoes. After peeling off the skin, following a nuke,
>> the
>> sweet potato is pretty chewed up, so I round it back up before
>> using the fry cutter.
>>
>> With the way this explanation is going, Marty, I might also see
>> what it's like if I used a potato peeler and did the skin with
>> it
>> BEFORE softening the sweet potatoes. I just never tried it, so
>> have no opinion. . . yet. <grin>

> . . .
>
> Try the potato peeler first Nonny, but then wrap your sweet
> tater
> with parchment paper (so it won't stick) and then with a kitchen
> towel before nuking. You get a lot more control over the nuking
> that way and more even heating through the potato. Don't use
> towels that you're proud of. Sometimes they get scorched. I did
> bakers that way (sans the paper) for years until I got this
> little
> toaster oven. Even now, I'll nuke a baker if I'm in a hurry. I
> like
> real oven roasted taters, but I'm not a potato snob.
>
> --
> Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

Thanks for the good advice (as always), Brick. FWIW, I ordered
the Weston FF cutter today, along with a 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4"
cutters. It seems to be a well regarded one of cast iron that
should hold up to the sweet potatoes, including skin, I hope.
I'll keep the little POS plastic one for hard boiled eggs. <grin>

--
Nonny

Have you ever wondered if the bills
in your wallet were ever in a stripper's butt crack?
Have a nice day ..